Thursday 8 August 2024

Smoked Chilli and Fennel Meatball Sandwiches

 Yesterday evening we sat down for supper, and we just needed a glass of beer to make this complete.  


I had prepared the meat balls in the morning together with its sauce, following Jack's recipe in the Home Baker's Club.  After ten years of watching Jack on YouTube, I paid my annual fee and joined Bake with Jack Homebaker's Club, and have learnt so much.  With his real time demonstrations he has plenty of time to pass on all those tips and expertise gleaned over his years of working as a chef.  

The amusing thing to me is as a good home cook for many years this is the first time I have made meatballs or even eaten them.  With their spices and minced pork these were the most delicious of things, and won't be the last meatballs I made.  I got 24 from the mixture, which will make us three meals.  I did not have any Smoked Chilli Flakes, so used some of my own dried chilis and some smoked salt that I have had lying around for yonks and did not know what to  use them in.  

Another new to me ingredient was Emmental melted....we don't tend to use cows cheese, but had had some on holiday and a little now I felt would be OK. There were two slices each side of the meatballs and the finished article certainly makes a very pleasing meal.


At first I thought it was strange adding 100g bread crumbs to 500g minced pork, but Jack explained that the bread crumbs absorbed all the juices which normally would flow out.  It just happened that one of the baked buns weighed around 100g and was blitzed to make the crumbs.


These 'sandwiches' was one of Jack's ....with bread recipes, to pair with the Hot Milk floured buns. Again with clear demonstrations and explanations all along the way.  

Mr S was quite aggrieved when one bun ended up as breadcrumbs.  These soft white buns are absolutely delicious, and as consolation he had one for his breakfast this morning!  The other buns and meat balls in tomato sauce are now in the freezer. These are ideal for a great bacon bap, and I may well have the meatballs with pasta another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment