Saturday 31 August 2024

Six on Saturday - End of August 2024

 The month has galloped by and I have only half attended to the garden,  I really enjoy observing though and making note of a few things, and the benefit of writing up a weekly post is that I will have something to look back on, in future years.  It is also an opportunity to share ideas and gain inspiration or further insight by sharing via Jim's blog.  Jim has vast experience and is a great plantsperson and gardener, and more so each week holds us together.  

1. Origanum Bristol Cross gets the medal for the most beautiful and also most insect visited plant this month.  

Origanum Bristol Cross

This is the original plant along the path.  It is now getting a little large.  Last year I divided another clump up and moved divisions to other parts.  They have all taken and were rejuvenated by the experience, so later in September this clump will have the same treatment.

2. As I harvest from the very small kitchen garden area, I place cuttings and divisions direct into the soil there, rather than have various pots which I have to look after through the winter.  I started this a couple of years ago with great success, and it has been gathering space.  So far I have placed cuttings of  Pseudodictamnus acetabulosus and Salvia microphylla Cerro Potosi, and this is where other divisions like the origanum will spend their winter until repositioned or potted up to take to club sales once spring gets going.



This past week I have continued to do much cutting back particularly in the front 'Mediterranean' garden.  In the back garden a few plants have needed chopping back if anything so that any fresh growth is hardened off before the onset of wet and cold winter weather.

3. In the gravel garden this little allium is also a favoured plants with visiting insects. I really recommend you follow the link as it describes so much better than I could the beauty of this late flowering perrenial .  

Allium senescens ssp. montanum var. glaucum

4. A couple of years back my friend Jean pulled out a seed head from her jacket pocket and asked if I could do anything with it.  It had three seeds left and this is what is now flowering in the garden. Jean and new friend came to lunch recently and now cuttings have been taken and hopefully there will be a plant to give to Jean some time next year. I have other Dianthus superbus in the garden but this is a rather fine shape and colour.

Dianthus superbus

5. Pseudowintera colorata Red Leopard has been happier this year moved to a shadier corner of gravel courtyard area. I expect a move to the sunny side in a couple of weeks time with see the red colour come through.
Pseudowintera colorata Red Leopard

6. Definitely bronzy red and starting to show its flowers is the recently bought Pennisetum advena Rubrum.  It is now in a big pot and hopefully will overwinter happily. I'm certainly happy to have this lovely arching grass.


I think when the Pseudowintera pot gets moved across, they will look good together. 



14 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, I particularly like the Pseudowintera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I also use its leaves as one does bay but only in savoury dishes.

      Delete
  2. Your dianthus is a favourite of mine, although it does look a little "wet dog" in the rain. Lovely pseudowintera. Have a great week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slipped into the habit of calling it 'Superbum' got a snigger or two from another plantswoman who said she had done the same!

      Delete
  3. I love this dianthus ! The petals are sumptuous.
    About the Pennisetum Rubrum, I had one that did not survive the following winter ( 2019) but maybe I had planted it too late?
    On the other hand, the other P that I grow ('Karley Rose' survives the winters without any problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice on the Pennisetum rubrum, I shall now keep it in its pot until next spring, and should it get very cold or wet give it some shelter.

      Delete
  4. Sarah Rajkotwala- I love that delicate Dianthus! You have so many lovely varieties over there. We just have the basic ones as they are not very fashionable here. But I loooove them, and plant them everywhere! 🌸💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden must be delightful with all the Dianthus Sarah, and sweet smelling too.

      Delete
  5. I do like your Origanum Bristol Cross, looks like a very good plant. Also like your idea of placing cuttings directly into the soil outside, saves all the bother of potting on all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find pots need turning, and watering or rescuing from being waterlogged, so for me, unless dealing with a really precious cutting, it is the open ground for me.

      Delete
  6. You have left me wondering if I can find the Origanum and Dianthus. I like both of these and would love to have them in the garden. The idea of direct planting instead of potting is a good one - I just planted some seeds hoping for a good result and no little pots! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if that Origanum would come true from seed. Good luck with the hunt.

      Delete
  7. I must make a note of the lovely little Allium, Pauline, it's pretty and would be good to have some alliums in bloom right now. I also love the gorgeous Dianthus superbus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Noelle's blog Catherine, and thanks about the comments on the Dianthus.

      Delete