Saturday 6 September 2014

Above Malham Cove

On our way up to our holiday, we had planned to stop at Malham Cove, but as we approached we could see that the area was packed with visitors, so we motored on but with a note to planning another holiday on this side some time in the future.

However just as we topped the hill past the Cove, I could not help but suggest we stop.



I could see the Limestone pavements.  Both my in Geography O and A Levels, I have learnt about clints and grykes, I have seen sketches of them, but had not seen many colour pictures or the real thing.  This area did not disappoint.




I had almost to be torn away, as it was almost like pond dipping, just to see what wild flowers or ferns were growing in the next gryke.



The sun was beating down on us, and the contrast of the green against the stone just perfect.


1 comment:

  1. Pond Dipping is a such a great analogy for poking around on limestone pavements.
    Good that you caught Yorkshire on a fine day!
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete