Thursday 15 October 2020

Anniversaries and learning new things

 This week I joined some members of our WI to celebrate an anniversary. It is ten years since this group was formed.  I joined soon after we arrived here, having been a member of my local WI in Kenilworth, where I had met some great friends, and had been on some memorable adventures, and enjoyed the mall bookclub.   I learnt a lot at the Craft Group in particular with our then President Kay Pluse taking me beyond the sewing on of buttons, and repairing hems etc!

Quite a few activities had been planned to mark this tenth anniversary year, but with gatherings being out of the question, we had a Zoom celebration.  We were sent some cloth and invited to get ready! I can't say I was at all in the mood, sometimes I feel overcome with everything that is happening, but again I had my mother's voice in my head encouraging me to make an effort.  

With no instructions, I had to ask on the Whatsapp group: I was one of the few who did not get instructions, as they thought I would be able to sail through this.  People get the impression that I find things easy, how so?  Maybe I give off an outward optimism and confidence?  This is not put on, but I do find things difficult, and put things off.  I managed to get the flower done by 6pm...then I read the invite , and the little label, and then was reminded that a drink was to be prepared.  


I poured myself a large glass of Kombucha, and arranged my long piece of knitted Hemp lace, and attached the broch, found a lovely handmade vintage top, took a selfie and uploaded it to the group to say I was ready and prepared.


I obviously need to work on hair and makeup which is just a little more than lipstick, get the lighting and the pose right. I still have not been to the hairdresser for a haircut!

This year thanks to Members of Wells WI, I have learnt how to take part in Zoom meetings, started to use my mobile and uploaded WhatsApp, and for this party taken my first selfie, I think.  Then I managed to transfer the picture to my main computer...all small steps for most, a great step for me!

During times when quite honestly I could have curled up, excluded myself from the outside world, and just gardened, baked, gone for walks and cycle rides, I have learnt a few new tricks! Thanks for WIs and friends for keeping me going.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Lovely to see your first selfie! No stopping you now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely photo Noelle. Zoom has certainly opened doors for us over the last few months and has been a positive learning process. We have been in Tier 3 since Wednesday not that it's going to make much difference to me on a daily basis but again so damaging for the area. I was a member of a local WI years ago but it was a very small branch and perhaps there not enough appealing to me at the time. I've seen very recently that there is a special membership offer on at the moment so may join.
    P.S. You are not the only one who has not ventured to a hairdressers yet 😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lippy! Wot no pearls! ‘wry smile’. We must what’s App next week, I haven’t forgotten. It’s great that you’re having fun with t’internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall we dress up with pearls? By that I mean out of our gardening clothes? Looking forward to that. xx

      Delete
  4. I’m thinking of pyjamas and hand knit socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early morning or evening? I used to wear my pearls all the time..until I heard that they knock, and can get damaged. I wear them less and less now.

      Delete
    2. Mine need to be restrung, so I don’t wear them at all. Apart from my earrings I find jewellery irritating as I get older. I love a silk scarf to keep my neck warm these days. The Queen says you need to handle your pearls that it keeps their lustre.

      Delete
  5. Well done for for going beyond your comfort zone, Noelle - with a great result too!

    ReplyDelete