Saturday 3 October 2020

Six on Saturday - 3 October 2020

 With all the rain and winds, and things I have had to deal with, I wasn't in the mood to post, until this morning. Two weeks is a long time, and I may just miss the chance if I wait till next week to post about two of the favourite plants of the moment: see 3 amd 6 below.  Anyway I think the Prop likes us all to turn up and share....

(1) Compost bin:  Please, don't say that you are surprised that I have only just got a bin this year, that it is terrible that it is plastic, and how just having one will mean than I cannot turn it.  I've had good wooden ones, when I made the most amazing compost during my allotment years, when keeping three to five chickens meant that the compost I made was superb.  Later I had a wormery, which for ten years or so was fun and interesting. 


Now I just marvel at how I can keep topping it up, and it just sinks, how warm it is, and just maybe I shall have something worth spreading around, or come to the worst, put in a trench over which to plant a few courgette or such like plants next year.


(2) Also down the amazingly narrow side.  I should say that I am grateful for a garden, but just how narrow can strips left by planners be? 


 It is just wide enough to get the compost bin in, and to dump pots, potting compost etc.  Mr S has been threatening to cut back all the ivy and swathes of white Solanum laxum 'Album'.  As the garden is sloping and the floor of the conservatory is a couple of feet up, with net curtains on that side, you can't see the debris.  However I ought to do something about it. The trouble is you never know when you might need a pot!

(3)  Jim will recognise this one: Persicaria runcinata Needhams form

It is a dwarf alpine species brought back from Nepal by plant explorer, Edward Needham. Its red stems fan out, with the cut leaves and small pink flowers. If I was scrabbling in the Himalayas in the rain, I too would have been charmed and would have wanted to bring this back to try in my garden.  Thankfully when I saw this on Jim's SOS, he kindly sent me some seed.  It has not taken long to grown the seed on and have a delightful ground cover new to me.


(4) What is the use of saucers under pots? Very heavy rainfall is not a fun time to go and empty sauces, remove them, or move the plants to shelter....


The Aeonium was moved out of the rain, its saucer emptied at about 10 pm, and this morning it is brimming over again.  It was rather pleasant roving around in the garden, in lovely fresh air, in the dark.  For once I slept well....


Many of the succulents have been moved to the shelter from the rain, forming a display by the front door.

(5)  I've discovered a fine resource looking up details Scabiosa columbaria: Cambridge University Botanic Garden.  It details the shapes of the leaves both in basal leaves:  "pinnatifid basal leaves".


and the shapes of the leaves further up the flowering stems: "
pinnatisect stem leaves, the upper of which are finely divided" 


I was perplexed when reading the description on this plant where its leaves were simply described as finely divided.  Yes the leaves on the flowering stems are but not on the basal leaves.

"Rosettes of finely cut foliage push up tall wiry, richly-branched stems topped with a multitude of small 15-25mm light yellow pin-cushion like flowers with short pale yellow ray florets." is indeed misleading!

(6) Serratula tinctoria seoanei, bought at the Rare Plant Fair September 2019, is just coming into flower.  It is quite in the wrong place at the foot of a silver leaved Phlomis purpurea Matagallo.  It is really quite a small and dainty plant.




I shall have to consider where I move this one to, so that its very own special position as its flowers are just so perfect and demand a close look.



16 comments:

  1. Very pretty plant this Persicaria runcinata Needhams. I didn't know...
    Is it a Brunnera Jack Frost behind? The mix is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves of Brunnera Jack Frost which I have a little further along the edge are much larger than this Lamium maculatum 'Beacon Silver'. The lamium also has some pretty flowers, but it is the leaf that shines out this time of year.

      Delete
    2. Jim has seeds of this on his list Fred, I am sure if there are any left, he will send you some if you ask. These leaf shapes and patterning are all very interesting are they not?

      Delete
  2. I appreciate the links you include. You know that we want to find out more about the plants in other gardens! I particularly liked the Serratula tinctoria seoanei today.
    If you took out that ivy (Ha! Good luck with that!) you'd probably find 5' back in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also make the links when I find good references and have learnt from them, and may want to access them in the future. Sometimes the plants you have to wait all through the surfeit of summer, to do their thing are most appreciated. I read somewhere that they are difficult to grow from seed, but do you think that will put me off? Luckily the Ivy is not quite that deep, if it was I would have removed most of it to grow other things too..like Jim's climbing Fuchsias. Now that is an idea!

      Delete
  3. It has been a miserably wet and windy couple of days. I forced myself to do some deadheading today when the worst of it was over. That growing along the passage ivy is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your reply. I'll see with Jim who has already kindly given me impatiens of different varieties. Lamium leaf is smaller than brunnera one , you're right. Not exactly the same colour and shape. Brunnera J Frost is on my wish list you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brunnera are cracking plants, but which one to choose? There are quite a few different coloured and patterned Brunnera out now. 'Looking Glass' looks as if it would brighten up the garden, and there are also ones with white flowers. The Jack Frosts were quite slow to establish here at first.

      Delete
  5. I love the foliage growing along the passageway. I share your feeling about storing pots. I have most of mine in the hut, but a huge pile still sit outside because there’s no more room inside. I should get a garden storage unit to sit at the side of the hut, it would be so much tidier.

    The Persicaria looks fabulous - what lovely and unusual leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a very similar ivy covering a similar height fence even closer to our conservatory out back. The ivy is just about holding the fence up but one of these storms will take it down, just a matter of time. Serratula tinctoria is a pretty thing, and what a handsome plant the Persicaria is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our ivy too is holding up the fence, which will probably need renewing in a couple of years time, when it will all have to go. I completely agree with you regarding the persicaria, I had an expert supply the seed!

      Delete
  7. Poured down here all day yesterday and most of the night too and also got quite windy as the day went on. I do not have as much as one compost bin here Noelle. Rats in the overgrown land behind us used to cosy up in the bin so we bade it farewell. I have just bought a Hotbin and will be setting that up soon although its probably not the best time of year. I've had a Can-O- Worms for 12 years now. Great fun but not very productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to gird my loins when sifting out all the worms, leaving the top off for a new hours for them to go deeper would help, but not that much! Bet you have compost heaps at your allotment.

      Delete
  8. Interesting plants once again. I particularly liked the Serratula. I put some of my plants in plastic trays to help with watering in the dry (which it was until two days ago), and now they are swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same experience, totally parched then drowned! How cruel we can be to our plants.

      Delete
  9. i always enjoy seeing a compost arrangement. is there an opportunity to build a larger heap in the same position? you could build a removable front and maybe line the inside of the fence and wall. still, any compost is much much better than no compost.

    ReplyDelete