Saturday 3 October 2020

Geology Walk from Milton Lane Wells

 Last week we had another of our Geology Walks, just the six of us, all socially distanced, led by Dr. Doug Robinson.  With Geology Maps and notes perused beforehand we had our eyes open ready to observe the changes in terrain, stone, vegetation etc.  



We crossed a number of layers starting on The Triassic, crossing the Blue Anchor White Lias, Blue Lias, Charmouth Mudstone, up to Devonian sandstone which forms Penn Hill.

Along the way I was lucky enough to find this specimen of fossilized mudcracks in the Blue Lias formation, now sitting in my grit garden.


What an interesting circular walk, both with its geology, history, and scenery.  Shame it has rained so hard since, as the tracts along the mudstone sections will be almost impassable now. 

4 comments:

  1. I love your fossil Noelle, I’m sure that brings great pleasure. Your walks must be fascinating. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gravel garden is slowly becoming a 'rockery' or rather a collection of curios gathered on our walks.

      Delete
  2. When I first saw your rock I thought it was hufe, Noelle! What an interesting part of the world to have geology walks, led by an expert I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a tufa spring locally, but would not take any specimen that is not loose on or on path. Yes we are lucky to have several experts, as well as some well travelled amateurs.

      Delete