Monday 26 October 2020

Cyclamen hederifolium in a Vase on Monday

As rain and wind set in this week, pottering around the garden will be isolated to a few sorties and a lull this morning allowed me to pick a few small blooms.  Cathy has gone 'Country Style' this week.  As we post we link in under comments, and hence can see what others are posting.

What drives one to collect?  Is it an innate quest to find the unusual, or just the quest for beauty?  I shall ponder this.  I've always collected as long as I can remember.  I don't hoard or feel compelled to keep collections after my interest wanes.  My interest in cyclamen is still growing, so it was not surprising that I picked up a couple of cyclamen hederifolium with dark purple flowers, at the Rare Plant Fair at the Bishop's Palace this year.  

The dark purple cyclamen hederifolium make their debut on IAVOM today. The blooms are about two thirds the size of the other cyclamen flowers.


Other silver sword leaved and other hederifolium blooms join in too.


My smallest triangular glass vases, and a perfume bottle divested of its stopper is about the right size too for the miniature arrangements.

9 comments:

  1. I love your cyclamen! Lovely colours, and I always enjoy the swept back look from the petals. I discovered recently that little cyclamen flowers last in a vase indoors for an incredibly long time so hopefully you will be enjoying yours for a good couple of weeks or more! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, when I topped up the water this morning, they were still in peak condition.

      Delete
  2. I think I would have snapped up this dark flowered cyclamen too, Noelle - it's gorgeous! And what a tasteful diplay you have made with the tiny glass bottles and the mirrored base. I did check out the local plant fairs near here, but they had all been cancelled - visiting one would have been such a bright moment in a strange year. Did you meet up with Alison there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alison and I enjoyed the morning there together. Its great to be with a gardening friend and we enjoyed our sit down at the end, chatting about what we saw.

      Delete
  3. Cyclamen has such beautiful foliage. I've got a couple of plants in my shade house returning for a second year but I'll undoubtedly feel compelled to pick up more within the next month or so. I wish I could grow them in the ground and have them return year after year but it's too hot and dry for that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some cyclamen that thrive in places like Turkey, but I think they would be happy in the shade of a shrub. However hot in one place is different to hot in another!

      Delete
  4. Oh, lovely! I remember distinctly the first time I saw a cyclamen plant and I just couldn't get over it. Your dark purple one is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I love spotting them in the wild when on holiday in the Med..special indeed.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful flowers and a lovely arrangement Noelle!

    ReplyDelete