Monday 15 April 2024

A Magnificent Scilla Peruviana In a Vase on Monday

Earlier today I was walking around Dryham Park with friends from our club's 'Bloomin Fun' Group, and before setting out the weather was very gusty and some rain, but it was glorious on the other side of the Mendips. The outing with lunch to follow on the way back put me in such a good mood, that I felt energised and went out to select a few stems of things from the garden to arrange for today's In a Vase on Monday. IAVOM is a creation of Cathy, and in this weekly blog several of us join in showing material from our gardens.

As I had been chatting with my friend Jane who is designing some new beds with grasses, I mentioned that I had a large clump of Carex Comans Bronze and when divided I would be able to offer her some clumps.  I therefore had to include a few snippets of this to help show off the bloom from Scilla Peruviana.  

Just to add a green note, I only needed to have one of the now very large leaves of the Arum italicum 'Marmoratum'. This vase, a Charity Shop acquisition from a few weeks ago, is heavy and can take the weight of this large bloom.  The Art Deco Black elephant is there to give a little balance.

Scilla Peruviana


Not long ago I read 'The Maid', and so enjoyed this I ordered the sequel 'The Mystery Guest' by Nita Prose.  It is quite a easy going style and read, and again if you enjoyed the Maid you will enjoy this.


I've been interested not surprisingly in food, how it eaten and prepared, its  rituals, and the changing landscape across the world and in time, for almost ever.  This book by Bee Wilson is very much about the sociology of  food availability,  inequalities, preparation, and the way different people eat, and the pressures on our time particularly in the last fifty years, which has meant far many more processed foods are being pushed and consumed, on the time spent preparing food and whether we eat as a family or not.  

I do remember 'works canteens' and was priviledged to eat lunch in some very good ones such as the one at Hambro Life as it was know in those days, where a 25p free luncheon voucher could buy such exotic main courses as grilled rainbow trout and almonds, usually on a Friday, plus veg and a pudding!  We had exactly the same menu as enjoyed by the Directors . Plus we had an hour to enjoy our lunches in groups or on our own. In the evenings a quick 'high tea' would see any spaces filled before going out.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, now that arrangement is classy-everything about it! The combination of the Carex, Scilla, and Arum is perfect...and the way it's draping over the elephant statue. Very nice. Thanks for the book recommendations, too--I will check into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, Nice to see that Kris has also read and enjoyed the books. Our local library has a system that allows the books to be moved between libraries, so I don't often have long to wait when I order a book, and can pick it up when I am in town.

      Delete
  2. The grass is a very nice embellishment for the Scilla peruviana. I'd steal the idea if my Scillas weren't already done for the season. I also read the sequel to 'The Maid' and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, delighted you were inspired, and the grass works nicely with other flowers too.

      Delete
  3. How clever that use of the carex is! Absolutely brilliant with the elephant. Silla peruviana is such an exotic looking flower. Lovely. Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison, I had this growing in my previous garden and some of the soil I used to plant up the plants I did bring, must have had some seed. I had regretted not bringing it but was delighted when a spotted a seedling two or three years after arriving here.

      Delete
  4. That scilla is all oe bloom? Gosh, not something I have come across before, but need to search out. That carex is definitely a good do-er, although too much of a self-seeder at times - I have recently collected up various seedlings and used them in a series of pots I would normally have some sort of bedding plants in, thus reducing their maintenance. I don't think I have ever used it in a vase but it works well with the scilla and arum and I clearly need to bear it in mind for the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathy, just one stem, and here it is reliable. That is not the largest bloom either!

      Delete
  5. How exotic your vase is this week! I adore the elephant ornament, which matches the vase beautifully.
    I too find changes in eating patterns over the years to be interesting. I don't believe processed "fast" food has done our health any favours though. I rarely eat takeaway food, and prefer to grow my own vegetables as much as possible. I find shows such as those from Rick Stein interesting, as he travels the world investigating foods eaten by people from different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same here, and over the past few years I have found restaurants to be very disappointing except for the very high end ones. I am lucky to have lived in Mauritius until I came to school here in my mid teens, and was exposed to a huge range of tastes and cuisines, my father even called me his 'Petite Gourmande Gourmet'!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved both the Maid books. The grass in that vase is so beautiful. Perfect against the prop of the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flower cluster and such a sweet elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, truly magnificent Noelle! Nicely balanced with the grasses and foliage, and that vase and the elephant make it look quite exotic.

    ReplyDelete