Monday 8 April 2024

In a Vase on Monday - 8th April 2024

With the Storm Kathleen battering us for a long period over this past weekend, for longer than I've known such high winds, I count my blessings in that we had no serious damage,  I had the foresight to do the tiniest bit of 'gardening' on Friday.  Apart from moving all vulnerable pots off shelves etc, I did a little division on a new Primula vulgaris 'Treborth Yellow'. 

The flowers are nicely shaped, and with red stems make a pretty addition to the Conservatory Border.  All the stems were cut and here the largest are in a small vase with a few snippets of the Chamaecyparis pisifera var. Filifera  maybe ‘Filifera Aurea’


There were a few even smaller flower stems and these went into the tiniest of ink bottles along with a few snippets of Pittosporum Tom Thumb with it dark reddish leaves.


What was strange during the storm was that it was really warm for this time of the year, with temperatures in the high teens.  I photographed these in the Conservatory but now the larger arrangement is on the mantleshelf in the sitting room, and the little ink bottle in the middle of the kitchen window looking out towards the garden.

Since 'Treborth Yellow' it absolutely delightful and very floriferous for a small plant, I saw the potential to have three good plants for next year by lifting and dividing the plant, but of course all the flowers were cut off first, which is how I came to have undamaged blooms for this morning. For more arrangements from our gardens, pop over to Cathy's blog, where if you wish, you too can join in by posting your arrangement this week made up from material from your garden.

13 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the yellow of this bloom. Stunning against the statues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, the little statues give an idea of scale or at least one can compare different vases against the same statues.

      Delete
  2. The red stems on the primroses are most fetching, Noelle, and the Chamaecyparis snippets are the perfect accompaniments. Tom Thumb is an absolute star and often the perfect thing to finish off a posy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I don't have much smaller leaved shrubbery to choose from, and they feature often.

      Delete
  3. The perfect shade of yellow! I wish Primulas handled my climate better - the plants survive and even return in subsequent years but they tend to look ragged more often than not. I'm glad your plants mostly survived the storm - I heard about it from a London-based Instagrammer yesterday and it sounded like it was fierce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheltered garden just seems to suit Primulas. The winds probably from another extreme low started again over the last 24 hours, and today I had to get off my bicycle and walk it was so strong.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty Primula, I love the varieties I am seeing now. So different from the supermarket varieties here. And the Chamaecyparis is an old favorite of mine, i was delighted to see it again. It often feels oddly hot here during a storm. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, these temperatures are really too high for this time of the year, I guess the warm air can hold a lot of moisture.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely buttery yellow primula. Somewhere out there in the yard I think I have a similar one amidst the other deeper yellow primulas and cowslips. I am not good at marking things in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza, I had a garden with few plants and have made lists of plants I acquire and of course often introduce them on my Six on Saturday posts. I do like it that now several years down the line, they are starting to cross pollinate, set seed and germinate.

      Delete
  6. I love that shade of yellow, and the arrangement and color are perfect with those props. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous Primula Noelle. Great idea to divide it now while you can see where it would look good in spring - I should divide some of my primulas too. Your little inkpot is perfect for small spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot to fill in all the bits and bobs with my name! (Cathy, wordsandherbs)

      Delete