Saturday 27 April 2024

Scilla Hughii tops the bill for Six on Saturday - 27 April 2024

Its been a fairly reasonable week and I've enjoyed a couple of sessions of gardening. For more gardening blogs of Sixes this Saturday, you don't have to go far, but start with Jim's anchoring post.

1. Scilla Hughii is looking absolutely full of itself in the sunshine, but I guess it is wondering why the temperatures have dropped so much over the last nights. I've only had it a short time and there was only a suggestion of flower spike when I bought the plant on a visit to Broadleigh Gardens.




2. It is only because I almost had my nose in this Canary Bird Rose, that I spotted this very small lady bird.  I had to look it up.  It is the 14-Spotted Ladybird.

I continue to be delighted by this rose bush, which has many more flowers now open.



We seem to have many more ladybirds than last year, and I shall be looking out for different ones. There seems to be even more in the front garden, and as the roses are in the back, I may be collecting a few of those and relocating them.

3. I lost one pulsatilla last year, probably because I cut it back hard during the summer. I just thought that they would survive that and return in the spring.  Luckily I only did that with one of the four I had.  The first in flower in this lovely little purple one by the seating circle.


4. The soft pale lilac flowers of Geranium 'Beth Chatto' light up this border edge by the stepping stones down the side of the shady border, though that side does get the sun until about two o'clock.


5. As I peruse the online catalogues, I am looking forward to adding a few different auricula's already, but I shall have to wait until they become available again before ordering. Here are a couple more from the shelf.  As the early flowerers go over, I move them to the shady wall where they will see out the summer.

Primula auricula Two Steeples

Primula auricula Chelsea Bridge

6. Last week Fred asked whether the pot I showed came with the holes ready made.  


Yes they do, and I am lucky to have three of them.  The oldest fern in the middle pot has about four crowns. I met up with Penny many years ago, as she came to collect our phone system from our home offered through Freecycle, and the rest was a lovely friendship until her untimely death. One day Penny brought me a lovely pot which she had come across at the recycling centre she volunteered at.  After my appreciation she managed to find another two and brought them to me.  They had been used, but were in excellent condition and to date have not suffered any damage from frost etc. I have never seen any like those since. The ferns were ones which just grew themselves  in the garden, and were  moved it as a very small plant.  Later two more were found and makes up this trio, one of the top five of my garden treasures. They have been growing in those pots undisturbed for just over ten years. I was looking for the name of a small fern plant and came across an article by Jack Wallington on how to grow ferns from spores, which I shall try and have a go at later this year.





14 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, I never thought about growing ferns in pots but it's such a good idea I think I might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, what I like about growing ferns in pots, is that they can be moved around, and when it gets too hot and sunny, I simply place them amongst other plants which shade them.

      Delete
  2. I do like your Scilla Hughii. I think the relatively mild winter has helped the ladybirds, I am seeing plenty in my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there Rosie, and there are plenty of greenfly for them early, there seems to be a balance in the garden at the moment.

      Delete
  3. That Scilla is a real treat, Noelle! (Arwen, Notes from the Under-Gardener)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arwen, I look forward to following its development through its first year and beyond here. Only when I have increased it, will I risk planting it out in the garden.

      Delete
  4. Wow to the yellow lady bird - it's spots look rectangular. Those primula auricula are beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw it, it was the 'rectangular' pattern that threw me as well as the colour.

      Delete
  5. This Scilla seems to have a huge flower! It's amazing...!
    And for the pots with holes, it's great to have 3 : we imagine faces looking at us. I still love the 2 primulas auricula as much as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Fred, and no wonder it is described as Scilla Peruviana on steroids, and yes, we see the faces too, there are also perforations on the other side but they are different.

      Delete
  6. That ladybird demonstrated excellent camouflage skills Noelle - you did well to spot it 😂 Wishing you joy with your perusal of possible new auricula additions. The two you feature this week are rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Scilla at the beginning is so full and special. All the flowers are lovely, and the three pots you shared at the end are truly special. It's a nice arrangement with the rocks between them and the plants you've put in the pots. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a lovely Scilla! It looks great in the pot. Your little ladybird is quite a find. I’m glad you spotted it - it’s so unusual with its yellow colouring and rectangular spots . Great photograph of the Pulsatilla!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scilla is stunning! Also like your pulsatilla, must deadhead mine as most of the flowers have gone over now, such pretty flowers. I have never tried Primula auriculas, but your two are making me think that I ought to do so.

    ReplyDelete