Saturday 13 April 2024

Six on Saturday - 13 April 2024

 Finally some dry weather, yesterday it was sunny, but still with a stiff breeze, pictures taken were not as crisp as I would like them to be, and they were quickly taken with my mobile. Looking forward a few dry days are promised, and hopefully I shall have days when I can enjoy 'playing' around with plants and preparing the garden the summer time. I'm sure there will be plenty of April joys on Jim's post, aka the SOS garden spot where we hang our posts and ruminate over matters gardening.

1. Several gardens ago we used to enjoy a magnificent Rosa Canary Bird which I had planted near to the dining room window, and finally last year I got to buy one and planted it as a bare root plant early last year.  Although its shape is not particularly to my liking at the moment, a good pruning after it has finished flowering should set it up for future years.  For now I am content to enjoy its beautiful open single blooms, already being visited by bumble bees.


2. Nearby another yellow is from a good clump of cowslips.  I had planted up a couple of self seeders  last year in the Conservatory bed, but decided that a group would better than having them dispersed across a couple of beds.  I've now moved them, but it will only be next year that they are as glorious as this clump. In each of my gardens I have purposefully grown a few of our native plants.


3. This little row of spring perennials  catches the light beautifully, and seems to love its spot in the conservatory bed.  I've had Tiarella Spring Symphony for years, well not these as I do divide them, discard older portions and reposition them.  I did this last year and they are looking all the better for that.

Tiarella Spring Symphony

4. Another spring beauty which does very well here in the garden is this little Primula juliana 'Port and Lemon' which is another one that has passed the test having been planted first three years ago. Again dividing every year or two keeps the plants in good condition.


5. As I was getting close to the ground, I noticed just how many small spiders were moving along the ground.  There were several varieties in different parts, but this one was still enough and I was able to look it up in 'Britain's Spiders' a Filed Guide and found out a little more about it. This is I believe an Oblong Running Crab Spider.  Now I realise what all the wrens, robins and even gold crests are searching for along the ground and in the shrubbery.


6. Finally this 
 Geranium malviflorum, which is a Summer dormant variety, is just starting up in flower.  This is one that will just disappear down to its underground tubers when flowering is over. Its strong coloured flowers are nicely positioned above its attractive and finely divided leaves, which have helped cover the bare earth over the winter. 


That's it for this week.....

14 comments:

  1. Loving all the spring yellows in your garden. And hooray for a few dry days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Canary Bird" is a stunner, and the fact that the bees love it too is a huge plus, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Tiarella Spring Symphony is a delight. I can not keep Tiarellas for some reason and even Heucherellas struggle, though Heucheras seem to cope with my conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the conditions don't suit they can do this, I couldn't quite put my finger on what tips them over.

      Delete
  4. I've never got into the habit of dividing primulas, which is probably why I've lost so many. When do you divide yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dividing is the key in my opinion. I either do it straight after flowering, where you can see when you want to place them, or else early autumn. Making sure they have some water and not scorching sun as they establish is the key. The recent weather has been ideal!

      Delete
    2. Right, this year I will divide some of my better ones, and do it soon.

      Delete
  5. Funnily enough I've been struck by all the little spiders scurrying about and sunbathing on the rocks near the fence. That 'Canary Bird' Rose is a wonderful colour. I'm off to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to have such an early flowering rose. If you follow the link I put in, you can see how large it grows.

      Delete
  6. That tiarella is lovely. Funnily enough I saw one of the very same spiders on my day lilies today, and wondered what it was - it’s quite an unusual looking thing, isn’t it? There seemed to be spiders hiding everywhere I looked today. Luckily I don’t mind them too much as long as they’re not really big! (Arwen, Notes from the Under-Gardener)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arwen, here in Somerset we have a large range or so it seems, and even the False Black Widow which sets up store in the conservatory and other nooks isn't dangerous, but the ones in the house do get despatched!

      Delete
  7. Tiarellas are really interesting in spring and especially when planted in clumps like you. These spiders are funny and sometimes you can even see them carrying their eggs. https://x.com/frdvil/status/884845839826505728

    ReplyDelete
  8. A most happy and healthy tiarella Noelle and such an apt name. I watched an Instagram live this morning from Huntingbrook Gardens in which Jimi Blake showed the primula 'Port and Lemon' growing in his woodland garden. It looks a beauty. We visited RHS Harlow Carr this week where I lost count of the primulas 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, it is a joy when plants grow well and are happy.

      Delete