Saturday, 19 September 2026

Six on Saturday - 19 September 2026

 SOS you know the form, Six(ish) things from the garden all linked together over at Jim's.

1. The Asters are starting to give a wonderful splash of colour, taking us and our gardens up to the feast of Michaelmas after which all these flowers were originally named.

A Blogging friend Brian Skeys has just written a delightful article celebration Michaelmas, which reminded that some of mine could feature this week.

Aster novi-belgii Blue

Since adding the Asters to the garden a few years ago, I have divided them very successfully and have some repeats. I would love a pale pink one, and ought to look out for one in readiness for next year. Any suggestions?

2. Sometimes it is the juxtaposition of plants that brings a smile to my face as here where the Pittosporum Tom Thumb which thankfully has survived the rather harsh trim and the silver leaved Lamium maculatum form a temporary twosome.  Temporary as I believe there are bulbs lurking beneath the Lamium which will be removed at some time during the winter or spring.  It got there are a little weed seedling and for now it stays. It gently self seeds and being easy to pull up, it usefully fills bare spaces around the garden especially protecting the earth during the winter rains, and offering cover for the various insects.

Lamium maculatum

3. Another lovely leaf pop is supplied by the chartreuse green leaves of the Persicaria 'Golden Arrow'. My friend Maggie gave me a small piece somewhile ago, and I have been able to divide and place them around the garden.  This particular one was burnt to a crisp, and just before the rains, I cut it to the ground, now it has re-emerged fresh and chartreusey.


4. Another Aster and one which I divided earlier in the year is Aster Pyrenaeus 'Lutetia'.  She has had a rather tough year, but has had no watering since the initial two or three weeks settling in water. Here she is sprawling through to reach a 'look at me position', through the Miscanthus nepalensis.

Aster Pyrenaeus 'Lutetia'

I need to think over the best position for these Asters.  All three plants of Lutetia and in 'subprime' positions.

5. During the summer this pale lemon calendula, seeds supplied by SOS sister gathered from her garden, has been a beautiful counterpoint to the other colours in the garden. I call it 'Lemon Heaven' as I dead head it., In one case also the plant was cut back almost to the ground.  It has since come up rather well.  

Calendula 'Lemon Heaven'

During the heat the flowers were imperfectly formed, and I thought maybe the form of the plant had degraded due to some unknown genetic condition, but it was just the heat, and like many of us, we flourish only when 'normal weather' resumes.

6.  Although I no longer have my very small veg border, I still grow a number of herbs.  I find them decorative and delicious, and I certainly would not be without the Allium tuberosum, or more easily remembered as Garlic Chives. 



They hadn't been watered either during the summer, and from the number of flowers, I think it is time to refresh the plants and autumn is a good time. This time of the year they throw up their flowers and they are another form of nectar for the insects. There was a small copper again this year on them, but I didn't have my phone on me.  I shall leave the flowers for the bees and butterflies, then divide and share amongst my gardening friends locally.

That's it for this week, except that the garden threw up another interesting insect observed for the first time here. I found it dead in the shower room, which is just by a length of ivy covered fence, so it may well be Oedemera femoralis.  

Oedemera femoralis

I hadn't realised its rarity, otherwise I would not have thrown it back outside after I took the picture.  I'll be sure to observe it more carefully next time.





4 comments:

  1. The colour of Persicaria 'Golden Arrow' is lovely. Here too, the sun has burnt the persicaria varieties I grow—even though they are in the shade. The return of mild, moist weather is doing them good.
    I also do like your Aster ‘Lutetia’; perhaps it deserves an another spot, or maybe more light to help it thrive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, that first Aster photo is beautiful....as is the lemon heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lamium foliage is very striking. Mine have enjoyed the cooler September. That Aster novi-belgii Blue is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for different foliage types, and now I feel I need to find room for some Persicaria 'Golden Arrow'. It's an amazing colour.

    ReplyDelete