Saturday, 3 October 2026

From my garden at the start of October 2026- Six on Saturday

I was absent for SOS last Saturday being in Ireland, and was able to make comparisons between that very green and pleasant land, and the relatively parched areas coming across Wales and back home: here it has hardly rained.  Just as you think there will be nothing more for the garden to offer, somethings rise to the fore.  I am joining  in with Jim and others to sharing Six things from the garden.

1. I was concerned about the Sternbergia lutea over the summer as it got so hot and dry where they are located in the front garden.  I need not have been worried and on our return the three little clumps were green with a few flowers left for me to enjoy, but I missed about half of them.

Sternbergia lutea

Whilst in Ireland both north and south, I was looking forward to seeing what people grow there, for we have our SOS friend Pádraig who frequently shares Six from his garden. Yes from the coach and also when we were walking, we could see extensive 'gardens' around their beautifully kept homes, but it consisted mainly of very very green lawns right up to boundaries often with no trees or planting except for the odd clump perhaps of Hydrangea. I know there must be some exceptions as there are many notable plants coming from gardeners on the other side of the Irish Sea, Maybe there are gardeners tucked away in pockets, and perhaps Pádraig is one of the leading vanguards with regards to planting. Maybe there is not so much of a culture of gardening as we enjoy in England.

2. Also now out in flower in the front garden is the clump of Nerine bowdenii which may have struggled with the lack of watering: it hasn't seen a hose or watering can, only the infrequent showers these last few weeks.

Nerine bowdenii 
It is a treat to go round the garden after having been away for over a week, and these two plants were very welcoming. Both of these were gifts from my plantswoman friend Hilary.  She is coming round during next week, and I hope they will still be looking good for her.

3. Just how far should an embrace go and for how long?  The little terracotta chap is now almost entirely embraced by the curly stems of the rosemary, once again in flower, so not only an embrace but a scented one, and during the day the humming of bees. The Rosemary has almost outgrown its spot, and I have been 'succession' planning with a well growing cutting taken maybe a year ago.  I'll plant it up in a large pot and next spring decide where about to plant it.  On the whole I rarely replant the same sort of plant in the same spot, preferring to refresh the soil with an addition of compost etc and planting something different. 



4. Last week I showed  Persicaria 'Golden Arrow', so this week I am showing another of the Persicarias that have bounced back. With purple, cream/silver and green leaves and the name Persicaria runcinata 'Purple Fantasy' there will always be a little space for this  psychedelic looking plant.  It has to be kept in check though, so often yielding plants to share.



5. A few weeks ago I posted about Scilla hughii, as I was curious about the little bulbils/bulblets  I found on the roots.  I'm happy that three have survived, and have started to put on some growth.

Three Scilla hughii bulblets

The 'mother' bulb is definitely showing signs of further splitting  with two crowns and I also noticed that there is another bulblet starting to grow on the outer perimeter of the pot, from one of the bulblet I left on the roots when I repotted it.

Scilla hughii forming a double rosette 

This may be the contender for the spot where the Rosemary is currently growing.

6. Earlier this week I went to a talk held by the Wells and District Wildlife Group called 'Learn to Love Slugs and Snails' given by Nathan Orr, Mendip Hills National Landscape Nature Recovery Ranger.  Except for admiring their form, there was not much understanding or love lost between myself and those slimy creatures that nibble and gnaw.  Have I turned into a lover of those molluscs? It is another creature in the garden to observe and only a couple of days after the talk, with a few light showers during the night, I found this beautiful slug. I followed it for a little while and in the time it took me to fetch a little more washing to put on the line, it has disappeared. I haven't yet been out to check any damage on the Kale plants given to me by Alison, which may just swing me back to my previous position if they have been decimated!!

Other wildlife which thrilled me this week was 'my frog', hummingbird hawkmoths, 'my robin' and several other visiting thrushes, so for now, maybe the slugs, snails and I can coexist, as the slugs will be busy breaking down all the autumnal detritus. 


Arion Rufus

Being of the 'older set' but still gardening, walking and cycling, and wanting to continue with these for many more years, I have taken up the Strong Woman Challenge being run during October,  with any funds raised going to the British Heart Foundation.  I hope to keep up the exercises even beyond the month as I would really like to be strong enough to garden for a long while yet, open jam jars, and run up and down stairs!

This is the link if you would like to support me:

10 comments:

  1. The Sternbergia are lovely. I think I saw them at Myddelton House last week, but I thought they were crocuses at the time. So much still to learn!
    I have also learned to understand slugs better this year. Arion rufus is one of the most attractive ones, together with the leopard slug and the cellar slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the Sternbergia lutea...I remember seeing them at Kew Gardens a number of years ago (I have the photo to prove it 😉) and thought they were crocuses. Are they related? Nerine is a favourite of mine, so I am so pleased you get to enjoy them at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you going to Ireland, one of my favourite places. My sternbergia has been and gone. It bloomed really well. I think it needs plenty of sun to trigger blooming. My persicarias on the other hand have looked terrible this year. I love the way your rosemary embraces your terracotta man. I am impressed by your Strong Woman Challenge. Does it involve running? Or going to the gymn? If so I am doubly impressed. I have spent my life avoiding both but you are right as you get older you have to make more effort. I'll just have to run up and downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Strong Woman Challenge is about doing guided exercises over 30 days, and it is to achieve what one's own 'strong woman' situation. This is being run by the British Heart Foundation and is all about increasing heart health. The exercises can even be done seated for those perhaps recovering from operations etc. No gym, no running as far as I know. On the day of rest a walk of 20 minutes, so all doable at home. The BHF help so many recovering from serious heart problems and operations so I felt it was a very worth while charity to support. I am still hoping for more friends to contribute.

      Delete
  4. Best wishes for your October challenge, Noelle. I'm thinking you'll smash it. You are right about this being important for us as the years roll on.
    Your terracotta guy is adorable with the surrounding rosemary.
    No grass in my garden here, a chara. Grass is for cows. Hopefully Wales will soon be back to proper green any day now. Thanks for the plug. I'll send your reward promptly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks my friend, of course you do your cycling like me. Wales was improving but soggy Somerset where I live is not living up to its name, and with the hose ban still in place it is not possible to keep watering except for the pots.

      Delete
  5. I had forgotten all about sternbergia, how lovely and even more lovely that the challenging summer didn't upset them. How well behaved are your persicaria? The scilla is a beauty! Have a great week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Persicaria as others were burnt to a frazzle and this is the new growth post the first rains. Of the Persicarias I have this is the one that needs to be 'reduced', others are from a central point rather than putting out runners. You too have a good week Sis.

      Delete
  6. It's always interesting to read your posts, Noelle, and hear your wide-ranging observations. When we had some time in Ireland a few years ago it was definitely the green-ness that stood out for us, and that was without the contrast of a long dry summer in the UK. I love both the the persicaria you mention, although the Purple Fantasy doesn't take kindly to hot dry spells and certainly suffered this year 0 in fact, I must check to see if it has even survived! Good luck with your Strong Woman Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut the Red Dragon right back a week before it started to rain, as it was looking bleached. It is right at the foot of the stone wall but I do have others dotted around the garden. Let me know if you would like a replacement, I would be happy to send one back to you.

      Delete