Sunday 4 September 2022

Classics from a Home Kitchen - Cucumber Salad

I hardly leafed through this week's Waitrose free paper, that I had wedged it between the washing machine and the utility sink unit waiting to act as my food waste liner, but this morning I remembered a title to an article called 'Classics from a home Kitchen'. Well I couldn't remember the exact quote, so it came out this morning and I've found plenty of articles to while away the post Sunday lunch sitting at the table time.  

This week's lunch on Sunday will consist of smoked trout Pâté, on delicious toast from home made bread, with a little cucumber salad as a side. Just as the Lemon Meringue Pie made during the week, a quick but delicious cucumber salad is one of the 'Classics from my home kitchen'.

I made this salad with just these combinations during the week, and there is no apology for making it again today to compliment the smoked trout Pâté.

Using a home grown outdoor ridge cucumber, peeled with a potato peeler, and cut into chunks.



In the serving dish, I spooned out a tablespoon of sheep's yogurt and mixed it with equal amounts of mayonnaise.  To this I added a tablespoon chopped mint from the garden and this is the little addition that adds that special flavour, a few dill seeds ripe but freshly harvested from the garden. This should not be seasoned but allowed to steep for an hour or so for the flavours to blend.  A little sprinkling of cayenne just before serving is all that is necessary.

These little stainless steel dishes with fitting lids are constantly used in our kitchen, useful for storing, in the fridge or in the freezer, when the contents can also go into the oven for reheating, and also serving straight to the table.  These I believe are obtainable as Puri dishes from Indian Outlets.  These are old, and just stainless lids and no silicone rings have nothing to cause deterioration. These are over 40 years old now.

I shall be making a pea and cucumber soup, in which the peelings will add a great cucumber taste.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm - that sounds rather appetising and relatively simple to prepare Noelle. I remember eating a chilled cucumber soup many moons ago as part of a meal to celebrate my parent's silver wedding anniversary. It was a warm August evening and the soup was not only refreshing but absolutely delicious too.

    ReplyDelete