Saturday 24 September 2022

Six on Saturday - 24 September 2022

 Having just arrived back from a lovely week ago, I was delighted to find my garden still offering a few things to share this week.

1. My pots have been carefully watered by my neighbour Val, who was suitably thanked with a little thank you of Fudge made by Father Francis at Buckfast Abbey.  The gardens, café and fudge is why we stopped there on our way to Devon.

2. A new little Daphne was planted out in the gravel garden before leaving.  This was one of the plants acquired at the Bishop's Palace Plant Sale. It has taken the place of the silver leaved Achillea x lewisii 'King Edward' of which I have now several little clumps elsewhere in the garden. I forgot to make a label, so that is a task for later in the day. 


Daphne x hendersonii 'Kath Dryden'
came from Potterton's stall.  It was by fluke that they came to the event this year, but they had a large order to deliver 'down south', and I am very pleased to say that they hope to come to future plant sales in Wells. I've not grown Daphne before and I am looking forward to it flowering next year.

3. Another plant bought was  Geum Pink Petticoats. .  Alison a gardening friend who was with me recommended this one as one that was also good for cutting for vases,  and the plant has been divided and shared.  All the pieces are in a nursery area straight in the ground, and hopefully will be moved in a couple of weeks to a suitable place. 



4.  The Cyclamen Hederifolium are up and showing pretty blooms, even with very little rain, with clumps of white and pink flowers dotted around.




5. The white flowering Nemesia Wisley Vanilla is still in flower and wafting its lovely scent around.  Of course much dead heading is required, and I shall try to take cuttings to make sure I have some for next year.




6. Those late planted climbing French Beans are yielding good pickings, so Fred was right when he suggested that would be the case when they were planted at the start of July.






10 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm glad to see your climbing beans... It's just in time before the first cold of autumn, but seeing them I think you're going to enjoy them!
    Is it easy the nemesia cuttings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They root well for me. When I nipped out the growing tip on those small plants, I put a couple in another pot, and they are now fine plants growing in the garden. I would therefore say yes as you are a very good gardener Fred, they will take.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see your beans, the blackfly took over mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the Daphne in flower next year. I'll have to look it up later. I forgot to grow any Nemesia this year (I had one survive several years in a pot) - the fragrance is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looked the Daphne up. It looks like a good 'un.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s strange, my cyclamen hederifolium are flowering as well, here on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say very strange, here the Cyclamen coum which flower in the spring and normally leaf up much later in the year, are showing several leaves each.

      Delete
  6. Hope that you had a good holiday Noelle. I'm glad to learn that you came back with some plant mementos. You will enjoy that later crop of beans 😋

    ReplyDelete