Saturday 2 July 2022

Six on Saturday - From my garden at the start of July 2022

We have had sun as well as lots of rain, and earlier in the week it was windy, so we have had all sorts of weather in just the one week.  Already I am cutting back long stems of spent growth on the tall Valerian Officinalis and the garden is taking on the mid summer look with the roses about to start their second flush of flowering.  However I've been appreciating things green around the garden and today I am joining with The Propagator and all his blogging cuttings of which I am one, to show six things in our gardens this first Saturday of July. 

1. I've grown Cosmos for the first time using seedlings grown by Eileen and shared around our Wells WI gardening group.  Dead heading hopefully means that the flowers will continue well until the autumn. There is a nice variety of colours and I think the variety is Sea Shells though I only have this one that has 'the form'.  All lovely though.


2. This is Crassula arborescens ssp undulatifolia: a gift from Hilary a few months ago, and it is already at home in the conservatory when it coping with the bright light. For a short time it is taking a stint on a window sill.



3.If I go somewhere lovely and they have a few plants for sale, particularly if they are in such a handsome hand made pot, then I can't resist. 



The only problem is the label which reads Crassula perfoliata when it should be Crassula perforata, its easy to write a new label. Well it could be that someone just got the original labels mixed  up,,  or maybe one of customers moved the labels.


A few weeks previously we had been to the Newt, where of course, I spent quite some time looking over their collection of cacti and succulents and just checking through those pictures I came across this picture a large pot of Crassula perforata. I wonder how long it will take mine to grow this big, but it will need to be potted forward several times.


4. Another viola success grown this year from seed received from the Alpine Garden society, which gave ten good plants.  

One I have reserved for Brenda and the others are now either in pots or around the garden. Viola Bowles Black looks good against the golden yellow green of Taxus baccata 'David'.



Hopefully, as for Viola Tricolor, this beautiful dark velvety purple black viola will self seed around the garden.

5.Campanula pusilla is looking tiptop in the gravel garden....




6. I have 'cheated' and bought some ready grown climbing French bean seedlings.  The runner beans I planted in the ground failed to germinate and the season for sowing from scratch is probably over.  Anyway I love French beans too!
   

So that is is just a few of the plants, and a bonus: Scarlet Tiger Moth in the garden yesterday.














15 comments:

  1. What a lovely moth to spot. I was chasing butterflies around a hay meadow yesterday trying to get photos, but it was a fruitless game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a massive cosmos fan, once they get going they are the easiest and best annual on the planet (fact to be confirmed). I would love to go to The Newt, it is on the list, perhaps in September. Love that little viola. Have a great week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a member then any day, otherwise members of the RHS can enter on Tuesdays. You are in for a treat, and will probably need most of the day to relax and take everything in. Excellent food and cider of course!

      Delete
  3. That pot is very nice - is it a great crested newt? The black of Viola against the yellow-green foliage does indeed look good. It's been hard keeping up with the weather - I think it has rained every day this past week. We got soaked walking back from town this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have Newts in all their water areas, but I haven't thought to identify them. Yes getting soaked is the downside, not having to water the silver lining.

      Delete
  4. I love the pot. Is it from the Newt? I have a trip planned there later in the year. That dark viola is very attractive and unusal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are specially made for The Newt and only sold there. You are in for a real treat. If you are a member you also ought to book a tour of their new Roman Villa. However if you only have one day, the gardens are more than sufficient. Are you going on an RHS day?

      Delete
  5. This is a good thing ! You will eat green beans at the end of August...
    Very pretty cosmos surprising by its shape and its beautiful colour

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely little pot complete with lizard Noelle but see from your above comment that I would have to travel some way to track one down 😂 I will have to locate some French bean seedlings if I've not left it too late. Mine in rootrainers have gone past the stage of being transferred into the garden without sustaining damage 🥲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The emblem on the pot is one specially designed for The Newt, and yes they have lots of Newts into their many water features both natural and man made. Hope you find the beans,

      Delete
  7. Your garden looks fabulous! <3 All garden cheats are perfectly acceptable especially in the vegetable garden to save time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think more more will be used, as with no greenhouse etc., it means having to move plants around each day.

      Delete
  8. Great moth picture. I saw a Banded Hairstreak yesterday but it moved on before I could snap a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just looked that one up, and you must be on the over side of the 'pond'! What a lovely butterfly.

      Delete
  9. You are making the Newt even more of a Must every time you mention it! It seems the Scarlet Tiger moth we saw here last year must be a regular visitor, as I have seen him several times this year 😊

    ReplyDelete