Saturday 9 July 2022

Scant Six on Saturday

 It is too hot, I am too tired, and quite honestly in this heat and sun, the pictures are not coming out great.  I daren't join in with the usual Six on Saturday, as I will be excommunicated for good. But it will be worth visiting non the less, so do use the link. I have changed my mind, I am going to join in with 'borrowed' pictures from a few gardens we have  visited over the last two or three weeks.

1. I did get out and do a job I had been meaning to do early this morning.  I divided a viola. I acquired Viola pedata in 2021.  It came through the winter well, but has failed to flower well this year.

Viola pedata 2021


I felt it would not improve, and emptied it out of the pot, and washed the soil off to see if any pests had been eating the roots.  None were evident but the central main root appears to have rotted off.  However there were quite a few side shoots which had developed with one or two roots on the strongest ones.  Since these plants are not too easy to find and fairly pricey for a small plant.


When a little plant appeals to me, I will try my very best to propagate it to save it, and not knowing if I am doing the right thing, using my instinct I separated out some of the more vigorous side shoots. I removed all the big leaves, and planted them in fresh gritty soil.  Some I put in a shallow pot, and when they start to grow away, then they may getting planted out around the garden to experiment as to their favourite position.  The three with best roots I planted in a taller long tom style of of pot, and if they take they may well make the shed shelf next year. 



Gardeners live in hope, sometimes take risks, and I am a believe in having a go.  I'll give an update as to whether this succeeds or fails. 

2. Our visit to Monmouthshire as a delight as we visited two gardens.  The first was Wyncliffe Court Gardens. One plant that stood out for me was Pimpinella major rosea. All by itself by a stone column on the patio it was the perfect backdrop for this little pug.  He just would not get out of the picture, posed and then trotted off the moment I had finished.


3. Nothing better than a bit of water in the garden, so why not a small lily pond, with arcing vine above?



4. Veddw Gardens a short way away, took full advantage of its location, and with its many smaller gardens enclosed by neatly trimmed hedges, had many ideas to inspire gardeners with acres or even a small plot.  




On reflection the meadow was glorious!




5. We love the Newt and went twice in in as many weeks, once to visit the Roman Villa which really should be done on a visit separate to viewing the gardens.  From the most fanciest of orchards to tranquil gardens, cottage gardens and colour themed ones, and fruit and vegetable areas, the only thing they lack is a good rockery area with choice alpines.  Of course that may be on the agenda.  Their Japanese garden is  also a must see with so much attention to detail, With a farm shop as well as a separate gift shop with far more to entice that one could afford in one visit, I never come back empty handed.



 


 


So much of the work is really hands on, and I love the fact that during all the times we have visited, it has been so peaceful with a lack of noise from motorised machinery. Here in the formal orchard, two gardeners are cutting back the Santolina. Walking round this curved wall garden the various herby underplanting only add to its beauty.

6. I picked up The Deckchair Gardener by Anne Wareham owner and maker of Veddw Gardens.  She and her partner Charles Hawes who very graciously welcomed us and gave us a preliminary talk do most of the gardening I understand, but also take a lot of shortcuts to allow them time to pursue other activities. I think that will be my style of gardening for this weekend.  We were to have visited my friend Brenda today as she and many other gardeners open their gardens in Stogumber, but Mr Stasher is well under par, and we have both been overcome with the heat.


Take things easy if it is hot where you are, wear all the protection you can, and if possible stay out of the sun during the hottest hours. 



6 comments:

  1. It is far too hot out there. A great Six as always. We've not been to the Newt yet but must go some time. I do have some Newt raspberry and rose jam though, won in a raffle at work. It has yet to be sampled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice sort of prize. Their cider is special and take plenty of pennies to spend on yourself and the missus.

      Delete
  2. That book sounds a real hoot. I should add a copy to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is nice not to take gardening too seriously, and hopefully it will be a source of inspiration for SOS items.

      Delete
  3. Getting old photos out of the drawer is a good solution, especially with these temperatures, but seeing the forecasts for the next few weeks, you have to have a lot because another heat wave is coming. I really like #4 photo and the garden looks very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a lot of flowery areas, but I find green very relaxing on a hot day. I guess I associate it with the gardens in Italy, where by the summer most flowers have been scorched dry, except in the mountains of course.

      Delete