Saturday 16 July 2022

Still playing in the garden as can be seen on this Six on Saturday

This Saturday it is fairly warm with 25 C in the shade, I must be getting used to the temperatures.  At least it is cooler in the evenings, and beautifully fresh in the mornings.  Mornings pretty early is when I love to be in the garden.  I think next week will test us.  

As usual just as I am still playing in the garden, we are still all linking to Jon The Propagator with our Six on Saturday.

What I have noticed in this hotter weather is how oranges are a bright pop of colour in the garden and my eyes do a little game of joining the dots of 'orange'. At certain times of the day the oranges really show up very nicely.

1.Alstromeria Indian Summer is now in its stride. I have it growing in a pot and had put a division in the garden, but I think it is only lurking if not dead there.



2. Orange coloured Geum which I bought as a small plant outside a cottage, name unknow, so if anyone recognises it and knows the name, a comment regarding that would be most appreciated.  The slugs and snails are shunning this one.



3. It is not so for this plant: Helenium Moerheim Beauty, which has its lower stems and leaves dreadfully nibbled.  It does act as a go to plant for checking and despatching slugs and snails from the garden. A geum will probably replace this plant. 



4. The tumbling tomatoes, given to me as young plants by Eileen are now ripening, and looking quite decorative in the garden.



5. Growing in its pot and  still in the same soil as last year, yes I am hanging my head in shame, is Dahlia David Howard. 



6. Achillea  which may be A.Terracotta which has a well baked biscuit colour and silvery olive coloured leaves is fading under the strong sun, but otherwise it is holding up very well.  I do like the smell.



It is too hot to sit and write more...off to continue the Deckchair Gardener and keep sensibly cool with my feet in cool water.  

5 comments:

  1. This geum looks like a G coccineum of some kind ( Red Wings?). Anyway, insensitive to S&S...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the confirmation that it is slug proof, I feel that there will be several more in the garden. I've looked up Red Wings and yes that is it. Many thanks Fred.

      Delete
  2. Yes 'playing' just about sums up what we can do in our gardens at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tomatoes are looking tasty, mine are still all green

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sympathise over the Helenium, I threw the remains of mine away late last week. I don't think I'll bother with them again. Indian Summer is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete