Monday 18 July 2022

In a Vase on Monday - All dried up and African Skies

 All dried up and African Skies just about sums up the situation here.  All the windows are closed except for the vents and curtains and blinds closed.  It just feel like winter inside but with the thermostat turned high.  Again that last feeling will probably not become familiar with the costs of fuel sky rocketing.

Let us show grace, and at least appreciate that we are far better off than people over in other countries in Europe who are experiencing far worse.

Yesterday I dried some freshly picky lemon verbena leaves: they sat on a shady bench with a cloth over the top of the basket to prevent scorching and the leaves blowing away in the strange hot dry wind, and a few hours later they are stored ready for my afternoon tisane. Sage leaves and bay are also drying out very quickly.



Over the last couple of weeks, as I find interesting seed heads when I am dead heading, they go in some tall vases in the conservatory. In the foreground are the species tulips. from which I had been saving seed, at the back Briza media and to the right some Achillea King Edward from the gravel garden.



However I couldn't resist picking some Salvia 'African Skies' and pare it with a stem of Rosa Grace. It was already 26 C in the shade at 10 am this morning, but looking at this will hopefully give us 'cool feeling.

I shall be keeping inside and with my feet in cold water on and off, my favourite way to keep cool, enjoying my current book, and from time dipping into Cathy post, to see what people have been adding to their vases this week. Cathy's anchoring post this week is called Knight in Shinning Armour!

8 comments:

  1. It certainly looks cool in your last pucture with the white background, Noelle! My Grace is struggling in her first year because of the heat and should perhaps be watered more than she is. You have collected some intriguing pieces for your dried vases - the species tulips are particulary fetching. Did you let the achillea dry on the plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I picked it fresh for a little vase on the windowsill, and the water dried out but the flowers held, so I decided to keep them.

      Delete
  2. I love the cool combination of the peach rose and blue Salvia, Noelle. I hope that this kind of summer heat doesn't become a "thing" in the UK as it is here in Southern California. It's just after 10:30am here and it's 83F/28C but that's normal for us in July - and we're lucky to have air conditioning. Our blinds come down when temperatures climb to 100F/37C. Hopefully, you get a cool-down in the evening hours (which unfortunately often isn't the case for us during a heatwave).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't going to cool down tonight much, but hopefully the extreme weather will only last a couple more days. No air conditioning here.

      Delete
  3. Oh Grace always lives up to her name Noelle and what a beautiful pairing. I must try your technique of dipping your tootsies in cold water. It's been unpleasantly hot here and apart from very early watering this morning I've not been out until about half an hour ago only to discover some wilting and scorching 😥 Roll on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also use whatever fleece I have to cover the vulnerable plants and helps stop scorching and also wilting. I need to water much less with that covering.

      Delete
  4. I love your dried seedheads Noelle. They will hopefully last for future vases too. But since it is summer it is also nice to see some pretty flowers and warm colours. The salvia is a pretty one. Hope your home has cooled down today and you could throw open the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have missed this last week Noelle! A lovely cooling and calming vase. Hope this week has been nice and cool!

    ReplyDelete