Monday 11 July 2022

Celebrating the last of the peas and Colin's Apple 'Molasses'

 Yesterday, very early, before the sun came round, I decided that the peas would probably not survive the several days ahead when we have very hot wall to wall sunshine, heat and no rain.  We've been having picking from the mangetout for several weeks, just from a shortish row, and also from another so called dwarf pea but which much have been 1 metre tall at least.

I often 'celebrate' the first of the veggies, and I thought why not the last of the peas. I sorted out whatever I could from the clearings which yielded a few salady snippings which will garnish a salad today, a few mange tout to be used again for dinner to day.  I did all this 'mindfully' appreciating the beauty and the colour and the produce a very small patch can yield.



Some pods has escaped picking and would be hardish, so I decided the peas could be added to a slow cooked dish and I just happened to have pork belly slices in the fridge.  Some onion, chopped celery and carrot together with an assortment of garden herbs made up the dish.

The greatest flourish was as a result of trying to work out what I could add in place of cider, which was not available, and really it was too hot to go out shopping.  I just used water but for the last half an hour when the top was removed I brushed the edges of the pork with Colin's preserve.  The inspiration came from a dish that we had at a Palestinian Pop up in Wells where pomegranate molasses finished off  a dish which included slow cooked lamb.  Imagine 'Apple Molasses', this jar will be used as such rather than on toast!

When Colin and Julie last visited, bringing with them a couple month's supply of apple juice and apple cider vinegar, they brought a little jar of a preserve which Colin makes. Julie tried to explain what it was and said don't worry if we don't like it it was his sort of 'jam'. We love it that now Colin and Julie stop by and have a chat and tea and cake, before they return to the farm.  We talk about food, gardening, knitting etc etc. It is just such a relaxing way to sit in the garden and talk with friends.

I think Colin's preserve is almost pure boiled down apple juice or maybe it is cider.  It will sure to be a great topic when we next meet. It must be over a month since they visited, and the jar had been brought out for our toast a couple of weeks back.  It was unlabelled but had been put in the cupboard, next to my 'vintage' lime marmalade also unlabelled. and had been brought out as that to the table.  It was tangy like a lime marmalade but not set firm, and went beautifully on home made sourdough toast.  We even discussed how the lime peel has gone so very soft and was now imperceptible, in fact melted into the matrix.  Several days down the line, it was toast again, and having spread my slice and having had a bite, I quickly grabbed the jar away from the jam and marmalade monster aka Mr Stasher.  I had realised this rare and wonderful preserve was from the Combens.  Oh Joy!  I have a new special ingredient to experiment with. I must try to barter another jar out of  Colin! Of course if he reads this he may well have added this to farm produce and can be something we can purchase, Anyway they are coming to dinner soon, and I am not sure whether to do this dish or one with lamb?

Oh yes, the peas were a lovely addition and well worth the effort to sort through the 'straw' and find the peas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment