Monday 11 July 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Cooling greens

 One can have all the riot of the exuberant colours of summer, but when it is hot I find calming refreshing greens attractive.  No doubt Cathy will have bright colours or else friends from around the globe so do go and have a look there. However just having peeked in on Cathy's anchoring post, she too has gone for a cooling arrangement. On our mantel shelf now devoid of antique clock which we have given away, I have more room to move the arrangement around. It is hot too hot to garden, except very early in the morning, or last thing as the sun goes down and the back garden is in the shade.



I had one self seeded Love in the Mist  grow and its seed heads fit into the scheme nicely, and hopefully will end up as dried flower material, ad will the self seeded poppy heads.


Rather than waiting for the colour to appear in the Sedum spectabile Autumn Joy I love to use the stems in arrangements. There are still plenty to flower and be a source of late summer nectar. On the plus side for us, there is no pollen and this vase will probably outlast the week. 


11 comments:

  1. Green does help lower the temperature. Nice assortment of textural elements. Love in the Mist is something to add to my plans for next year. I didn't realize what interesting seed heads they produce. I've yet to get a single poppy from seed and I really admire those pods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love they just grow without any input from me at all!

      Delete
  2. You've put three of my favorite ingredients for flower arranging together in this arrangement, Noelle :) Sedum spectabile is such a useful plant - I also like to use the dried flower stalk skeletons, and in their green bud stage, they seem to go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love that pale green colour not quite silver not quite green and works beautifully with bright and pale colours.

      Delete
  3. A perfect companion to my cooling whites, Noelle 👍Those nigella seedheads are gorgeous and I like the way your vase will have a long shelf life. I recently noticed I have at least one nigella seedhead and was toying with cutting it to preserve it and letting it seed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, the appeal of the seed head is greater than that of the flower or at least lasts a lot longer.

      Delete
  4. I was interested to see the sedum arranged with the seedheads, but it adds a lovely chunky, glossy green element. Very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you describe the sedum sums it up to a tee.

      Delete
  5. I understand the desire to seek out cool-colored blooms when you feel like you're being toasted every time you walk outside. The poppy pods and Nigella seedheads satisfied your specifications perfectly. Best wishes for cooler days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, according to the weather forecast this is going to last, today Tuesday there is a little cloud cover so there is no scorching effect from the sun, but I think it is actually hotter!

      Delete
  6. This has a cooling and calming effect Noelle, and it is lovely to use something that can last in this arrangement and then be reused too. I love the seed heads of Nigella. Such intricate shapes. Wishing you cooler weather soon!

    ReplyDelete