Monday 18 December 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Group activity at our WI monthly meeting

Last year a few of us in our 'WI Blooming Fun' group met at members' home and had Alison, whom many of you knew from In a Vase on Monday,  lead a group activity making Christmas table decorations. This year we held our monthly meeting and one of our number stood up and made her arrangement, explaining the principles for the whole group. We are a large group which something like 70 members.

This is my arrangement with material from my garden, except for the berries, and mistletoe, and no the golden Choisya and the flower heads from Fatsia, weren't from the garden either.  I found that the brass mesh in the water caused it to cloud awfully with a rusty deposit.  I had the same thing happen when we used it last year.  After taking this picture, I exchanged it for some pin cushions, and the water has stayed fresh.  Otherwise like last year, I would have needed to change the water daily, and also have a rusty stain to the lovely glass container.  This is a strange sort of vase, which whilst hot had been moulded to fit onto its wooded base.  I do however like the vase even empty as an 'object', since I also love wooden things.


People were generous with material from their own gardens, and there were tales of neighbours gardens being raided, or course with permission. There were so many different arrangements, and everyone was delighted with their creation, even those who had not tried anything like this before.

I loved this one with gilded acorns:


After an evening of creativity and fun, and great nibbles of mince pies all home made by Maggie including some made from filo pastry to look to samosas, each member whether they had a garden or not, went home with an arrangement.  Most had a lovely candle in the middle.

The evening was enjoyed by everyone, and everyone now has an arrangement to enhance their Christmas displays, and the knowledge and confidence to recreate a table centrepiece again.

I am posting late in the day, and will non the less be joining Cathy who set up this weekly get together, where I gain so much inspiration.


 

5 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds like a most enjoyable evening Noelle. Is that an eleagunus in your vase? Those guilded acorns are rather special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity! Your arrangement turned out lovely. I have some rust issues with one of my vases--turns out it is cast iron. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a delightful holiday activity, Noelle - and useful too. The various examples beautifully show what can be done without flowers. I like the idea of gilding a few things, like the acorns, using spray paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely arrangements Noelle, and such a nice idea for a WI meeting too. I was hoping to make a wreath or decoration but our storm is making it treacherous to go anywhere near the woods for materials! Those golden acorns are especially attractive - inspiration for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a lovely meeting that must have been, and how lovely to hear that Alison's visit last year gave the group confidence to make their own arrangements this year. Pooling material from each others' garden was such a good idea too - and I agree about the golden acorns! I wonder if I could do something with beech nuts next year... The way your vase was constructed sounds really intriguing...

    ReplyDelete