Saturday 2 December 2023

Six on Saturday - 2 December 2023 Chilly weather round up.

Its been 'parky' for sure. At  -2 C this morning when I went to look at the garden and take some pictures,  with several layers, hat etc, you can tell I am fairly caught up with continuing to keep up with the weekly SOS.  We haven't had any snow, and the frost have penetrated plants and pots. I am joining in with Jim and others as usual. 

With no green-house most plants have to brave the elements and only time will tell what the survival rate will be.  

1. Some succulents that were in the conservatory have been moved into the house.  An example is this Portulacaria afra 'Variegata', which is now sitting in the only south facing window in my shower room.


2. Plants that were outside looking as if they are suffering from the cold have been moved to the conservatory:

Fatsia japonica 'Spider's Web'

It doesn't seem to want to grow the well patterned leaves anymore, perhaps it doesn't like being in a pot!

3. With the frost and freezing fog one of the noticeable things in the garden have been the cobwebs festooned all around, cobwebs of differing types of construction, which explains why wrens and other small birds are seen explored all around.

 Japanese Umbrella Pine Sciadopitys verticillata

 4. The Fuchsia is definitely frozen and has that end of season look.


 Last year I cut this fuchsia as I did others right down to the ground before the frosts and they came back as strong as ever, and therefore I am going to take the chance to do the same when the temperature rise a little later in the week.

5. When I saw the first little snowdrop of the season, I knew it was time to prepare the Conservatory bed ready for its Spring Act, which often starts mid December.  I have been urged by a friend and also the gardening media not to cut back plants,  but if left the bulbs would all be covered by dying and rotting foliage, and for this bed that is not the look to enhance or indeed encourage the emerging vegetation.  It looks sparse now and every emerging shoot can be seen!





6. This year's cyclamen seed order are now planted up but staying in the utility room until the first seeds emerge.  They will then go into the conservatory which is kept at around 7 C, then in the spring they will move to the shady side wall.  Thanks Jim for reminding me last week to get on with the sowing.  Looking at my notes I sowed last year's seeds as soon as they arrived as well.

It is hard to think that even now we can get on with things in the garden, far nicer to read up and browse other SOS bloggers' posts till it get a little warmer.

9 comments:

  1. The fuchsia survive here with a good cut back. And I have some little cyclamen plants bravely showing from the seeds that you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on getting the cyclamen to germinate Rosie.

      Delete
  2. That reminds me, I must go somewhere for grit for my cyclamen seeds. All our Fuchsias get cut hard, except the climbers; as much to get rid of gall mite as anything. They end up flowering later, but that's what they're really good for, so it's not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sowed the cyclamen in the utility room, having filled the pots with compost outside. Topping them up inside was the wrong thing to do inside, it is amazing how many little pieces there are in a teaspoon of grit, if you have spilt some and have to find all of them! I shall feel much happier cutting down the Fuchsias now, thanks for that Jim.

      Delete
  3. Sarah Rajkotwala2 December 2023 at 16:49

    I lost my potted fuchsia in the heat and dry of last summer 🌸 I don't suppose I watered it enough. I have some potted plants that I barely water and they still survive, and the fuchsia that I did water didn't! Dear little snow drop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have brought back the word "parky" to start the Six this week: voluntary or not it made me smile. !
    Fuchsia flowers frozen by frost today too. It gives wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never got above freezing today. It's nice to see an early snowdrop and now I know what the wren was looking for in my garden this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little snowdrop made me smile. So lovely to see something coming to life just as everything else is shutting down for winter :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each little spring flower emerging gives me a thrill, it is relatively mild here, and I have planted various early spring bulbs and corms to keep me looking, and to bring a smile to my face too.

      Delete