Monday 8 February 2016

In a Vase on Monday - Windfalls prop up daffodils

We are having high winds and lots of rain...the daffodils do well with lots of rain...and raining down from the trees are twigs and branches.  We were looking for pooh sticks yesterday at The Vyne when I found a lovely one covered in lichen.  Gradually as we arrived back at the car, I had a small handful.  A twig of pussy willow and catkins adds to the spring arrangement.  Seeing the wild Lords and Ladies: Arum maculatum, starting to pierce the leaf litter along the walks gave me the idea of using a few leaves of Arum Italicum pictum growing in the boarder close to the gazebo.



These are the first of my daffodils to flower this year.



They are The Tenby Daffodil: Narcissus obvallaris.  This lovely little golden daffodil is the emblem of Wales.

The flowers are quite small about 5cm across so my little vase about 10cm high was just the right one...I tried others but this worked the best.  When I was at school I spent one of my first holidays in Wales at an Easter Camp, and was enchanted by the swathes of daffodils growing in the woodland just above Tenby.

Cathy has come up with a lovely arrangement which will no doubt sew new ideas for vases for the weeks to come.  Like me, do go over and see what she has come up with, and have a peep at what other people have put in their vases this week.


13 comments:

  1. Is there ever a day that cannot be brightened by daffodils? So lovely to see your early ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daffodils in a vase are the jolliest flowers in spring; there isn't enough rain here for the to do very well and they usually flower with or even after the tulips so are a bit overshadowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First daffodils in a vase is quite a great moment in time, enjoy it!And thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect early spring vase....I can't wait for my daffodils...and I love the vase you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was trying to remember if we had been to the Vyne as it down towards Elder Daughter's, but I think it must have been a possibility that we didn't follow up in the end. Lovely to go on a walk and pick up things for your 'nature table' aka Vase on Monday. I would love to see these in the wild sometime, but in the meantime I have enjoyed seeing them in your wild and woolly vase - thanks Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy...the sunshine is bringing the spring bulbs into flower..it will be fun to see what people are posting next week.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful daffodils and I like the twigs as well. Jolly is a wonderful description, I agree with Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your bright and cheerful daffodils, Noelle. I also like the lichen-covered stick, although I admit I had to look up "pooh sticks"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a lovely game to play...and the water was whooshing under the bridges and through culvets...a floaty stick is very important...and as distinctive as possible. Hope you find a little one to enjoy this game with!

      Delete
  8. Your daffodils and lichened sticks are lovely, they make me imagine vases to come of daffodils from my garden. I love swathes of naturalized daffodils in spring. In my Houston childhood, I would smell the perfume of white ones along the way to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love of nature and flowers starts so early...and the memories last and last. I took a little bunch of snowdrops for my grand-daughter. The bulbs I had given her last year were growing beautifully by her fairy house in the Pear Tree and she had drawn a beautiful thank you card with a photo she had taken of the snowdrops inside, and gave it to me as I walked in the door. Life time legacy?

      Delete
  9. Your vase sings out 'Spring'! Glorious!

    ReplyDelete