Saturday 9 May 2020

Six on Saturday - Alliums and small plants 9 May 2020

The Prop has shown this week that Clematis are captivating....some beauties there.  So after the day when we thought back to the very real deprivations of the World War 2, and the joy of knowing that fighting was over in Europe, our gardens are ready to show Six on Saturday.

I wanted a theme but couldn't make up my mind from at least three.  This week I have some lovely alliums but I have also been admiring some of the small plants in the garden....

(1) Garlic...not the wild sort that grows in abundance in this area, which is all out in flower now, resplendent.  The sort I love to use in the garden: Allium sativum


Five cloves taken from the outside of a fat head of garlic, grown locally, bought from a friend for Kitchen use last summer.  Two of the cloves grew two plants each, so hopefully I shall have seven heads.  I planted them in September, so let us hope they split into cloves.

(2)  Allium schoenoprasum..a whole edging from two pots only of supermarket chives, divided over two years.





(3) Allium schubertii




Very pleased with these. I have two groups of three in the front garden, and some more in the gravel garden.  A neighbour has taken some pictures and is entering some competition...my pictures are shoot, download and post. 

And now for some of the little things:

You may have seen the standard or rather giant Gunnera, the sort even I can stand under.  A whole clump would probably fit in my back garden.

(4) This is  Gunnera magellanica under which the odd woodlouse could shelter.


Gunnera magellanica leaves have a lovely fan shape, .  I've just moved this to the front edge by the stepping stones...Looking down I feel like a Giant!  It was overshadowed completely before by other plants.



(5) Viola sororia 'Albiflora'



First flowers are just emerging. Compared to the wild ones which have finished flowering, this large flowered one appears to be someone's tasty meal.


(6) Erodium Fran's Delight over in the sunny gravel garden had been in flower now about three weeks. It was only planted in January this year, and came beautifully packed from Potterton's. I am growing, sorry about the pun, to really like this gravel garden effect.  It is a lovely way of growing small specimen plants.  The only problem here so far is having to clear the leaves falling from the Holm Oak, which at the moment is dripping with a large amount of catkins, and the whole thing is humming with bees and other insects.  The odd jay turns up looking for missed acorns too.


8 comments:

  1. Lovely alliums, annoyed that I didn't get around to planting my garlic last year. That erodium is beautiful, I love the little plants and it is great to have somewhere to grow them so you can appreciate them and keep them safe. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great plant selection. I found the teeny tiny Gunnera very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Allium schubertii are great. Your garlic looks a lot better than mine. I think I need to water it more often as I've grown it in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get to have a peek at your garlic...yes pots need watering, I keep on trying to reduce mine, but I seem to be adding rather than subtracting!

      Delete
  4. Chives take off like a barn on fire but I never thought of using them as a scented border. Think that next time I separate mine, I'll go for a similar effect. Your Allium Schubertii is wonderful & set among some great companions there. No wonder your friend thought of prize winning photos. Good luck to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet white violet Noelle. I must divide the chives at the allotment and bring some home so that I can snip them at short notice. Such a pretty flower. Have you ever eaten them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eaten the violet flowers or the chive flowers? Ha I wasn't going to do IAVOM today, but you have given me an idea. Thanks Anna

      Delete
  6. i think i might have some of those exploding alliums, the schubertii, although i don't remember ordering them or planting them. perhaps they are christophii, although they do look more like yours do.

    ReplyDelete