Monday 10 August 2020

In a Vase on Monday - The theme was set

 The theme was set early this morning, when the I set out the picking from the beans on the kitchen worktop! Purple and Green. This mornings's runner bean harvest was divided between two neighbours, and the purple french beans will be eaten here today.


A quick trot round the garden, a speedy set up and photograph followed.



Hydrangea Paniculata Vanille Fraise, still in the creamy white phase, Linaria canon went, Centaurea montanan alba, Monarda, Verbena rigida, Salvia Amistad. Fuchsia Hawkshead make up this week's bouquet.

Why the hurry?  I was scheduled to meet up with five other fellow WI walkers for a walk up on Mendips.  It was a walk through a pine forest plantation called Stockhill Woods, easy walking, and with loads of chatter.  The forestry tracks were edged with lovely flowering herbs amongst which this Mint, most probably Mentha pulegium aka Pennyroyal. It is much cooler up there, and only five miles away.


Our Leader  too has used a colour theme, so I could be said to be following in her footsteps this week, as we all did in our walk, where the paths were sufficiently wide to be able to pass walkers coming in the other direction keeping our social distance.



6 comments:

  1. Oh, I thought we were going to have beans in your vase, Noelle - but you have recreated their colours very effectively in flowers and foliage, in such soft shades too. That pennyroyal is really pretty too and I am glad you enjoyed your walk - I met up with a singing friend for a walk today but we had so much to catch up on we didn't consider singing as we walked, although we do noth sing the Bari part ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans in a Vase, now I wonder who would like to take up that challenge? I shall wait to see who is sufficiently artistic.

      Delete
  2. Lovely arrangement, Noelle! The pastel pinks are soothing to the eye and the burgundy-purple of the salvia contrasts beautifully. Love it!
    I'm envious of your socially-distanced walk and talk. I've missed female company during this pandemic. But we're slowly opening up here and cautiously going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eliza, I'm pleased you like it. Through our local WI, during this period I have got to know some lovely women, through activites, both on zoom, and picnics, walks etc.

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful color combination, which never fails but to remind me of the sash on a dress I had as a child - the one and only piece of clothing I can recall from my early childhood. I wish I could grow more Monardas but I've only discovered one variety that can handle our long, dry season. Your walk sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely arrangement. The flowers are superb, especially the Hydrangea and that gorgeous salvia. Your walk sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete