Monday 28 September 2020

In a Vase on Monday - Making the most of a glorious autumn day

I may have a biscuit barrel, and Cathy has a jelly mold with jewel like fruits flowers, but I wonder whether there will more on that theme? I'll be exploring links to find out more.

Yesterday was one of those glorious days, when the sun shone brightly in a clear blue sky.  Snipping a few blooms to add to my Pewter biscuit barrel was a soothing Sunday morning occupation. 


The stems of Salvia Amistad all shining and darkly velvety works well in tandem with the colours of the Fuchsia.



Vase contents: Salvia Amistad, Astrantia Major 'Sunningdale Variegated', Dahlia Gallery Art Fair, Solanum laxum 'Album', Sedum spectabile Autumn Joy, variegated ivy, and a leaf of Fern Polypodium cambricum Richard Kayse.

All of these were more neatly arranged into a tied bouquet and destined for a neighbour's mother.  Hope Val is able to receive these, in her new nursing home as soon as a visit is permitted this week.  Should flowers be allowed, I have offered a bouquet each week, following the routine I had set up in the spring. It was lovely to take bunches across the road and to see Val's face light up...I shall miss that.

5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely late summer vase Noelle. The fuchsia is lovely with that delicate purple, but I am even more impressed with that gorgeous Salvia. I just saw it in another vase and now I am absolutely convinced I must grow some next year! I do hope they allow flowers in the care home as they will surely bring not just your friend Val much pleasure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely mix, Noelle! I'm very envious of the fuchsias, which I'm having difficulty growing even in my shade house. The sight of your beautiful Astrantia always draws a deep sigh from me too. I'm glad you're enjoying pleasant weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the current rules for care homes are pretty restricted, and rightly so, but let's hope your flowers are allowed in, even if you are not. Amistad picks out the purple of your fuchsia beautifully and your whites seem almost whiter in the sunshine. Very pretty, and not a biscuit in sight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, the biscuit barrel must have been one designed for large families, but it looks lovely with an elegant lid too. Should I bake biscuits, a small sealed tub in the cupboard, out of sight, or else they would all be gone too soon.

      Delete
  4. Oh I do hope that your flowers can reach their intended destination Noelle. A quite lovely mix of flowers and what looks like a most attractive fern as well. It was a lovely day here too on Sunday but the weather is due to go downhill after today.

    ReplyDelete