Thursday 8 October 2020

'Harvest Meal'

 What started off as a 'stone' dinner' became 'Harvest Meal'.  My 'Potager' is the smallest, but I have had some nice fresh vegetables despite this.  Yesterday after days of rain, I had a dry window free in the afternoon, after a cycle ride, to do a little pottering in the garden.  The last of the runner beans were picked, and the courgette and pattypan plant grubbed up.  Dinner was late as usual: Mr S reminded me around 6:45.

Once more what would we eat? I had nothing planned.  It was a question of 'open the fridge and see'.  Yesterday I had baked a small split squash whilst all oven was on again for dinner, and I happened to have a small defrosted pot of cooked black beans. Non of these were there with any ideas at that stage.

In went the squash on top of the beans, with a little drizzle of olive oil, covered by foil on a high heat, whilst I had a think.  After twenty minutes, an egg and grated goats cheese was added.


Whilst this was back in the oven, I prepared the other veg, and in less than 40 minutes our 'Harvest Meal' was being enjoyed. To toast this I had a glass of Kombucha made with a very special tea sent to me as a present by my friend Judith, when we first moved to our previous home. Judith would have loved to hear about this impromptu dish.  As well as knitting friends we shared many plants and she and her friends even took over my allotment with extensive asparagus beds, when we moved,  I think I had every seedling from a batch of Franchi seeds germinate, and as well as my allotment, many others there had several plants from this. Sadly there is no room here for asparagus!



Our 'stone Harvest dinner' had stuffed baked squash with fresh mini pattypan and runner beans...delicious.  A sprinkle of cayenne pepper, a tip of basil, and for me also some roasted pepper and chilli sauce.



Oh yes, to finish stewed apple from our neighbours tree with a blob of plain yogurt, roasted hazel nuts and a dash of maple syrup, which pared surprisingly well with the apple.

A meal celebrating home grown veggies...thank you garden.

The Squash was grown from an 'antique packet of seeds' found lurking in the bottom of my seed box.  


It was lockdown, and we had no idea when the 'emergency' would be over, no movement, no visits to garden centres, and the odd packet of seed which was destined for the bin were given a chance.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds very good for a scratch dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little grey cells often work better under pressure!

      Delete
  2. Mmm, look at all that cheese bubbling on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I think I might stew some apples tomorrow to go with our yoghurt and pan roast a few nuts and I have a dribble of maple syrup left from a degusta box as a lovely desert. Such a good idea Noelle, love the stuffed squash, I might start our pumpkins tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete