Monday 15 March 2021

In a Vase on Monday - Mid March Storms

 


The last of the Daffodil: Rip Van Winkle, an old Irish cultivar are the stars of this week's arrangement.  They were 'rescued' after the very heavy winds and rains, and are well enough to make an appearance this week.  Echoing the form, a stem from Japanese Umbrella Pine Sciadopitys verticillata, a few long leaves from a crocus, stems of  Lonicera nitida 'Baggensen's Gold' and some darker green foliage of Myrtus communis subsp. tarentina the small leaved Myrtle.

I too have been through a storm: after a health scare this week which saw me having a ride across the Mendips to Bath, in one of those wonderful ambulances and several hours of checks, I am pleased to say that I was home the same day, and on the way to recovery.  A suspected heart attack and a BP of 237/93 meant there was no option.  The strange thing is, after the extreme pain in the chest in the middle of the night, in the morning I was feeling fine, and not being able to get through to my Doctor's for an appointment, dialed 111.  As we were on the phone, an ambulance was called, and they were on site within about 15 minutes. I now have my orders to phone immediately if something like this happens again, at any time even during the night.  I am now on medication and pleased to say the BP is moving in the right direction. I really feel for my poor hubby, and you should have seen his face when he came to pick me up. I think he suffered more than me! 


11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - so glad you recovered so quickly - trips to Emergency in the middle of the night are so scary. Your daffodils are amazing! I'm going to look for that variety to plant this fall. My daffs haven't yet poked through the thawing soil soI appreciate you sharing this bit of cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The episode was in the middle of the night, but I only called 111 after breakfast. Your spring must run into Summer pretty quickly.

      Delete
  2. What a scare. Glad you got quick attention Noelle and are back home recovering. Your vase is especially interesting--the daffodils are enhanced by the various textures of greenery. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I am gardening...favourite pass time.

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Love the vase and the Irish Daffodils with Japanese pine, a truly international vase. My husband had a similar cardiac event (on his motorcycle!) and ended up getting a stent. Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness me, that sounds like a truly awful experience for you and your husband. I had a similar thing earlier in the year but not nearly so dramatic but my husband sat in the waiting room for 5 hours. He quite enjoyed sitting watching the world go, which just goes to show he doesn't get out much - especially in the days of covid!! I am glad you are now heading in the right direction and you have those gorgeous daffodils to help you on your way. Aren't they lovely! Have a peaceful week, enjoying the gradual onset of Spring! Amanda https://therunningwave290580645.wordpress.com/2021/03/15/in-a-vase-on-monday-with-mum-in-mind/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, Noelle, that's frightening! I'm glad you called it in as an emergency and that you're taking care to monitor and treat the high blood pressure. Your flower arrangement is very pretty and provides a cheerful distraction from your medical woe. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people will do anything for a day out!

    Seriously though look after yourself. It must have been terrifying, apparently women’s heart attacks are often hard to diagnose because we tend to have a higher pain threshold than men, along with our ‘just get on with it approach’. So glad you decided to ring up about it. Don’t hesitate in the future. Best wishes M x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Noelle that sounds like a rather alarming experience! Hopefully the medication will do the trick although I imagine you will be checked up on as soon as possible. I hope that you have been putting your feet up for a day or two. I can't make my mind up whether I like 'Rip Van Winkle' or not and think I would need to meet up with him in the flesh to decide. You will enjoy 'The Life Of Flowers' - no colour photos but so many interesting snippets. Do take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big plus for us with Rip Van Winkle is that we can keep it as a cut flower in the house. There is no pollen to aggravate our eyes. Otherwise I do like daffodils in the garden. I shall probably try one or two other small ones soon. I've been told to go on as normal and if anything exercise even more. But I am backing off news or anything else that makes my blood boil. Now that is an old saying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, Noelle, how did I manage to miss your post? I am appalled at the resultant tardiness of my reply, especially on reading about your emergency experience last week - what a shock for you both....�� Were you given a potential reason for the attack, I wonder, and a diagnosis? Do take care Noelle - we shall be keeping an eye on you in the future... In the meantime you have given us a lovely stylish Monday vase - I can't work out the sahpe of the actual vase? Is it 'flat' or rounded? The Rip Van Winkle sit perfectly with the foliage, both really useful additions to a vase. Thinking of you, your IAVOM Matron Cathy

    ReplyDelete