Saturday 13 March 2021

Six on Saturday - 13 March 2021

1. "Beware do not plant mint" in your border warning to all new gardeners or old ones like me who did know better, but fell for the romance of  mint by water.  I spent a good hour trying to get all the roots out.  Yes: plant it in a pot, or a bucket, but not in rich heavy clay.  It was a devil of a job, and I think I shall have to watch out for missed bits coming up.

2. A new Corylus has been placed where I dug out the ice damaged Phlomis.  I decided to go for a shrub which would look lovely in the spring, rather than keep on with one which I would always worry about its tolerance to low temperatures.  I have a couple of that same Phlomis in another border, which can be cut back and expected to rejuvenate out of sight. In any case they were much less affected.  

I had been wondering around the local nursery, with no particular plan in mind, when I was drawn to a shrub., I knew I would want to give it a go. 



With the Corylus avellana Scooter the stems are more upright than a twisted hazel with with angular rather than sinuous side stems, having a kinked look with little twirly side growths, and it looks just the thing for my early spring flower arrangements. 

3. During the week, it got to be too windy to sow seeds outside, and in the absence of a potting shed, the utility room was given over to the task. By writing numbers along the edge of the tray, I can keep a paper account of what is in each row of cells on the Bustaseed tray. The bottom container has no drainage holes, and with the clear domed cover, I have a little unit that can easily to moved and placed inside on the window sills. Obviouslycareful watering will be necessary.


On my recycled pot, there was room enough to write the names, as it may not be used again.



Four individual pots contain the cucumbers.

4. On one of finer days at the start of the week, I had my house plants outside, where they were inspected, preened, and had a watering from the base by standing them in a bowl of water with a diluted feed.  Back on its table in the conservatory Aeonium arboreum velour is ready to face the season, having grown from this in November 2019


to this in March 2021, about 16 months, it does give one a good display.  Again later this year, when it is time to bring them back from the garden, into the conservatory for the winter, the top rosette will be cut off, and planted into a gritty compost, and the rest of the plant discarded.


5. The pink primulas vulgaris, which I found growing wild on a friend's farm add that early spring splash of colour and  Primula 'Wanda' are starting to flower. 


Primula 'Wanda'

6. I have wondered before about bees taking nectar by piercing flowers, by-passing their fertilising job, after observing them doing this on my white runner beans over several years.  


I am currently enjoying a fascinating book called 'A Buzz in the Meadow, by Dave Goulson'.  I managed to borrow this from our local library in time before the latest lockdown.  David Goulson has a section on robbing of nectar, and gives a quote from Charles Darwin's  letter to the Gardener's Chronical in 1857:

"One day I saw for the first time several large humble-bees (sic) visiting my rows of the tall scarlet Kidney Bean; they were not sucking at the mouth of the flower, but cutting holes through the calyx, and thus extracting the nectar...The very next day after the humble-bees had cut the holes, every single hive bee, without exception, instead of alighting on the left wing-petal, flew straight to the calyx and sucked through the cut hole....I am strongly inclined to believe that the hive-bees saw the humble-bees at work, and well understanding what they were at, rationally took immediate advantage of the shorter path thus made to the nectar."

I had to refer to my Collins guide to the Insects of Britain and the Western Europe.  Access to the internet would yield pictures of course, but sometimes I just love to loll around with books only.

Dave Goulson's book, again with no illustrations, is a great way of getting to appreciate insects in our gardens, and should they ever meet I am sure the Prop and the author would also discuss their running: Each chapter starts with the timing of his morning run and some of his observations along the route. 

18 comments:

  1. Primula 'Wanda' is a lovely colour. I've always planted mint in pots but I did plant a water mint in the mini pond and found it had made an escape for freedom in the border - which took me by surprise. It is no more... hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem as you with the mint, I had to dig it up and I replanted it in large raised containers. Another mint (chocolate mint) is in the ground but I have surrounded it with a small anti rhizome barrier at a depth of 30 cm. It's OK now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was 'Chocolate Mint' Fred, very fragrant but also wanting to take up more space that I had to spare. I only used less than a handful of sprigs each year. Should I find a little shoot I may plant it up in a pot.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty primula. My mint is in a small herb area beside the conservatory. It is quite easy to control there, although I may find the roots pushing up the paving slabs. 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing herbs where you can creep out and pick some easily for meals makes such sense Granny.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to try to heed your mint warning. It never seems very happy in a pot, but perhaps it's natural for it to die back in mid Summer? So I'm often tempted to bung it in the ground.
    That Corylus looks like it should be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those clever bees are behaving in a way similar to SOS bloggers - you have been doing something one way for ages, then you see a blogger has a much quicker/better/nicer way of doing it, so you copy just them - works for me! What a fabulous Aeonium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great analogy...clever!

      Delete
    2. I'm reminded of... Great minds think alike, until I read the other bit.. Fools seldom differ!

      Delete
  6. I think that mint plants should come with a government health warning Noelle 😱 These days I make sure that any new minty purchases are strictly confined to pots from day one. Your new corylus looks more desirable - note made of name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a nice apple mint, but that is planted in a pot and nearly fully sunk in the ground. Any stem daring to leap the rim, gets the chop. The corylus was a fraction of the on line prices. I had never seen it before. Let's hope it does well and will be there to in Vases on Monday.

      Delete
  7. That corylus is a smashing plant. I have the normal twisted one but the form of scooter is very pleasing indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Corylus looks very interesting, and quite distinct from 'Contorta'. I'll have to keep an eye out for it (although I have nowhere to put it!).

    A buzz in the meadow sounds interesting - you seem to keep finding good books that I want to buy! The phenomenon you mention about nectar robbing is quite common in Corydalis. I'll see if I can find any sign of it and put on next week's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I borrow mostly from the library, and if they don't have it in, it costs £1 to bring it in from another library. Limited space for too many books, when you think I have my other hobbies too to consider. Of course I do buy some reference books too. Looking forward to your posts, all of them Andrew. I shall go out and check my corydalis later today, bees have been over them.

      Delete
  9. Seed sowing is all looking very well. I see you've you your own personalised chilli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny: well the seeds come from a Chilli that I fertilised with a paintbrush, growing on a plant I bought from Waitrose. They have as yet to germinate so I think it might be a duff.

      Delete
  10. That's an intriguing corylus, Noelle - how tall is it expected to grow? But I am also intrigued by the aeonium and your treatment of it - is this the same as the one that grows really tall, but a way of keeping it compact, or something different altogether? I see you are being sensibly minimal with your seed sowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Corylus is shorter than the standard twisted hazel, it will grow as tall as I allow, given stems will be cut for vases. The Aeonium Velour is a naturally branching one, and does not grow as tall as Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf. Velour naturally self branches, but I don't want huge plants due to lack of space, so I prepare new plants from the original each year.

      Delete