Monday 1 March 2021

In a Vase in Monday - St David's Day

 Happy St David's Day.

St David is revered  as the Patron saint of Wales, he helped to spread the word of Christianity, and founded around 12 monasteries in his lifetime, and whether he set up the Monastery at Glastonbury within sight of our home, is debatable, but what is sure is that he did visit.

 He also helped to suppress Pelegrian heresy, where people believed that original sin did not taint human nature and people are capable of choosing good or evil without divine aid.

I am of course a heretic according to St David, only sometimes invokeing divine aid, and would most probably have followed Pelagius.  However it is not to say that I wouldn't admit to taking on good teaching from philosophers, saints and anyone I come across with good ideas. I love the one of St David's sayings:  "Do the little things".

This has become a well-known inspirational saying in Wales. One of the little things I like to do is join under Cathy's open arms, on this weekly Vase of Flowers from our gardens. 


Being St David's Day and I am using daffodils which is the national flower of Wales and often worn on St David's day.  The daffodil is an old heritage Irish cultivar called Rip van Winkle.  The greenery is made up of leaves of Mahonia 'Soft  Caress', leaves of Arum Italicum, and leaves of a dwarf false cypress.

If you can manage anything even something small: take heart and rejoice. 

12 comments:

  1. Of course! Daffodils are the national flower of Wales and I had completely forgotten! Having said that the only ones I could have produced are from my annual daffodil rescue mission in the supermarkets where the bunches languish out of water. Your daffodils are so lovely. They have a sprite-like look to them - fresh and full of the joys of Spring! Amanda https://therunningwave290580645.wordpress.com/2021/03/01/a-breath-of-springtime-in-a-vase-on-monday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We normally can't have daffs in the house as our eyes get irritated after a little while. These ones seem OK, but of course there is no pollen either for the bees, so I usually leave the rest outside.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. I've seen Rip van Winkle offered for sale but didn't really know them. You've elevated them with thoughtful use of the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are a little different, but as easy to grow as any other daff.

      Delete
  3. The hint of green in the Rip van Winkle is especially appealing, and it is a variety I have sometimes added to the 2 baskets at the front of the house which usually get planted out somewhere else afterwards. Your foliage choices are the perfect foil for them too. Thanks for the reminder about St David and his doings and yes, that is a powerful little saying. Thanks for sharing, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Cathy. It is quite interesting, and it reminded me of our holiday in St David's which is such a beautiful part of Wales.

      Delete
  4. You did a beautiful job of showing off the daffodils, Noelle. I think I have to find a way to grow Arum italicum here, maybe in my shade house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such lovely plants already Kris, maybe you have something similar that thrives in your climate. What I like about the Arum is that is is a winter active plant and makes way for the summer plants. In a small garden it is great to have plants on different shifts.

      Delete
  5. Love it and the St. David's lesson. I think true gardeners love Mahonia and Arum...and Daffs. Mahonia being the difficult one.Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three are beautiful in the garden here. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  6. I love all the foliage you have used with your daffs Noelle! I had forgotten all about St David's Day, and daffs are not quite flowering here yet. The small ones are always early, aren't they. Rip van Winkle is one I grew in my old garden and I do find it charming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful daffodils Noelle and the green leaves really accentuate the yellow. I wonder how that daffodil acquired its name 😄

    ReplyDelete