Sunday 19 July 2020

Perennial Runner Beans

I hadn't known that in some areas, runner beans can be grown as perennials.  Last year I had sown for the first time the white flowered runner bean 'Moonlight'.   They looked like this last year at exactly this time.


Runner Beans 2019


This is what they look like today.

Runner Beans 19/7/2020


I moved four 'tubers' to grow in a straight row against the fence, as I found growing them in the wigwam, the plants on the shady side we much weaker.  I hadn't realised until it started to shoot that I had left another one just where it had been last year.  Instead of just one shoot, each tuber has sent up between two and four strong shoots.  The leaves are larger, and flowers are forming from the very bottom.  Flowers are setting more liberally than last year, and I have noticed that the smaller bees are up to their old tricks and taking nectar without entering the flowers at the front.  The larger bumblebees' weight are able to open the flower at the front.

We had our first runner beans with dinner tonight:


The French Beans are not yet ready.  For the first time I am growing climbing French Bean Cosse Violet.  They have quite a different form to Climbing French Bean Fasold, which I had bought from Van Meuwen, which had lived up to their description as 'Very early to harvest'.   It started to set flowers before the vine reach the top of the canes.   The Cosse Violet grew to the top of the canes, and I was wondering whether they would even throw out flowering stems.  They have at last produced a few flowers, but will probably be a couple of weeks before tender green pods can be picked.  I'll have to wait to see what the harvest is like.  I wonder if French Beans can be grown as perennials?

5 comments:

  1. Good gracious! Perennial runner beans! I never knew. I wonder if all varieties would fruit again, I will leave one of mine in over winter and see what happens. Thank you Noelle!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that incredible knowing how frost sensitive runner beans are, they literally curl up and die at the merest mention of a ground frost. But like I tested my own theory about leaving geraniums in and I’ve had the best displays I’ve ever had. We might not be so lucky with a hard winter but it’s definitely worth playing the game. This years runners are flowering really arent they, looks like you will have a heavy crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tops are indeed sensitive, but like Dahlias, if you cover the 'tubers' well, and they don't succumb to rot, they take off in their own time. My one and only white Dahlia in the coolest part of the garden came through. Your geraniums managed it, it is the wet that is the problem. If every flower set it would be great, but the pollinators are up to their old tricks of getting the nectar from the back of the blooms. Had a fabulous second meal with them last night, still small, but I like them that way best.

      Delete
  3. How interesting. I have read that beans can be perennial Noelle but have always lifted mine out when they stop cropping. Did you cover them up with a mulch over the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did absolutely nothing, after cutting down and removing the foliage. I was expecting the roots to rot down in the ground. They saw the nodules on the legumes help to add nitrogen to the soil It was only when I came to prepare the area that I came across the large tubers. It is pretty mild here though.

    ReplyDelete