Monday 6 July 2020

In a Vase on Monday - Very Hyacinth


Last night, just before 'retiring' I arranged the flowers in readiness for this mornings little get together. The flowers had been standing in a bucket of deep water for a few hours, in readiness to be made into a bouquet. I walked through to the Front Room, where Mr S was watching something, and there was an exclamation of 'bumptious' from him.  He saw my face drop, what he meant to say and then explained, was that he thought it was a little like an arrangement Hyacinth Bucket would have made.  

Since Cathy gathers gardeners and flower arrangers from around the world, I can just imagine the quizzical smiles.  Hyacinth Bucket, pronounced Bouquet was the principle character in 'Keeping up Appearances', a British sitcom from the 1990s.  Dame Patricia Routledge also appeared in several 'Talking Heads': monologues by Alan Bennett. These have been remade, and Mr S and I were just talking that morning about them. Hence the link to Hyacinth, who may be described as a bumptious character.  I feel a search on YouTube coming on for  the original Talking Heads during the week.

I wasn't quite sure whether to position the flowers in the conservatory or in the sitting room.  Is that the name Hyacinth Bucket Bouquet used, or maybe it was the lounge, I think it would "drawing room"? 

 
Poppy Seed Heads, Hydrangea cultivar unknown, grown from prunnings gleamed from the Bishop's Palace Wells, pink Linaria purpurea 'Canon Went', purple Salvia nemerosa 'Caradonna', and beautiful soft silver feathery Artemesia Powis Castle make up 'The Hyacinth' bouquet.  Hyacinth would have been sure to have mentioned the Palace and Castle links!

The card is one I received early on in the lock down from Alison C, a fellow blogger, gardener, and IAVOM friend, now a Professional Flower Grower and Florist.  Receiving this little card was so touching I have kept it on my mantel piece.  The Artemesia too was a gift from Alison, hence the card posing by the Vase, another Pewter tankard.

Even if we cannot be with friends, they seldom are out of our thoughts.  Looking forward to meeting up with friends and family at some time.

13 comments:

  1. Love this arrangement Noelle. I think Hyacinth would be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, but maybe she would have a silver vase rather than a pewter mug...a bit too Onslow I think.

      Delete
  2. I love the pink hydrangea with the combination of silver gray artmesia and poppy seed heads. It is a stunning combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, it baffles me how such combinations come together considering it is a small garden.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I agree with Susie, Noelle, and I think it would definitely go in her 'drawing room'. The artemesia is the perfect silvery green to complement the soft pinks of the hydrangea and linaria. The linaria has just gone onto my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, The Linaria is easy from seed. I got it free with Gardens Illustrated and they were sown last spring. I'll see if I can save some seed to share. It has bees on it from dawn to dusk! I have read that it is possible to take cuttings and divide it too.

      Delete
  4. Believe it or not, I'm nominally acquainted with Hyacinth Bucket. I'm not sure where I saw episodes of 'Keeping up Appearances' (BBC America perhaps?) but I recall the show, although not well enough of it to fully understand why your husband would label this arrangement "bumptious" like the character in question. However, when you mentioned 'Talking Heads' I was more confused as there was an American rock band by that name at one time. I'm more intrigued by the BBC version of 'Talking Heads' and will look for both the former and updated versions.

    I love the arrangement BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking Heads is a series of monologues originally written by Alan Bennett. This is a link to the new series:https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p08ftkkx/alan-bennetts-talking-heads
      I've looked up the current meaning of bumptious, and it has certainly evolved. In English parlance it was more nuanced, the meaning that it, meaning self confident, outward going, a little loud. However it may just be that all my life I have misunderstood the term. I wonder what some of English friends think. I must ask a few of the wordsmiths I know. Thanks for bringing that up Kris.

      Delete
  5. It is a beautiful arrangement. The hydrangea is a lovely colour and silvery foliage contrasts nicely with it. Hope you can see friends soon. We are having visitors in the garden today. �� Haven‘t seen them since February!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink and grey, a classic combination! It's funny what directions our thoughts travel in sometimes. I hope you are both well and the garden thriving. Everything growing madly here but I rarely seem to have time to post a vase to IAVOM. Perhaps in the winter. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this display on your feed the other day and the word I would have chosen is ‘Glorious’. It really made me smile with its abundant showy blooms, nothing wrong with a little bit of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you managed a smile Mandy. Thanks for the Glorious title.

      Delete