Tuesday 14 July 2020

Making and wearing a face mask: the Verdict

Yesterday evening, I dusted off the sewing machine, found some fabric, instructions on line.  I even found this elastic in my sewing box.  What amazed me that it was from Woolworth, and made in England.



I wore the mask today out to Tesco's and the verdict:  I can understand why they want people to wear masks, and I shall of course.  I can't understand why people are waiting for the allocated start date. Today people were reckless with little regard to social distancing, whether they were wearing or not wearing a mask.  I even had to ask two Police Officers to move, as I would not have had the recommended distance between them and I,  as I entered the store. People were also wearing them but not covering their noses. How come shop workers are not keeping social distances in the shop between themselves?

The face mask was warm, uncomfortable, steamy and with my glasses quite uncomfortable.  I have small soft ears and therefore the elastic can't go behind the ears, and it is sewn with the elastic to a narrow band to go behind my head. 

Final verdict:  I shall be going even less to shops, or any indoor venues.....

4 comments:

  1. I too have been aghast at the lack of compliance with social distancing - people seem to think because the death rate is in decline that all is well and behave as if the virus has disappeared.
    I have been wearing a mask in shops for weeks now, out of respect for others, but also to remind people of the need for caution. Yes, masks are not easy to wear, they are hot and my glasses steam up, but I thank my lucky stars that I do not have to work in them all day. Like you Noelle, I keep my shopping to the absolute minimum and will be happy to do so for the duration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to hear this Sandra. I have been using a large handkerchief till now, the sort you tie round your neck, folded etc. Very easy to wash and iron. This morning when I went to the market my veg man was wearing his mask with the cloth tab and buttons round the back that I made for him. He said it made all the difference.

      Delete
  2. Same here Noelle. I have been doing the quickest shopping ever recently as temperatures were up in the thirties last week. It has been compulsory in shops for weeks here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm avoiding shopping Noelle but my one trip out that required wearing a mask was most uncomfortable. I also found it impaired my vision 😞 Perhaps we will get use to them the more often we wear them.

    ReplyDelete