Monday 14 November 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Anniversary Reunion posy

To mark the ninth anniversary of this meme, Cathy who started this off, arranged a zoom meeting yesterday, when some of us met in person.  The challenge for this anniversary was a hand tied bouquet. This post will be linked to hers on her blog: Rambling in the Garden.

I only joined the group in the summer of 2015 some eighteen months after it started, and it has been a delight to have, for much of the intervening time, shared the posies which I had been posting on my blog with a group of gardeners, several of whom I have had the pleasure of meeting in person.  This time distance and time zones were overcome, and Cathy made for a delightful zoom host.

In the UK the autumn has been extremely mild, with some very wet days but also some sunny ones.  On Sunday morning we went for one of our long walks straight from our front door, and as we walked along the hedgerows I was able to pick come material using my folding secateurs which I just happened to have on me.

The idea was to use the material to supplement garden grown flowers.  However when I assembled the pieces it would seem to be an odd blend, so I stayed with local wild flowers/seed heads and tied the bouquet with some green raffia.


Here the bouquet rests on the circular table with the low winter sun catching the detail, and particularly the structure of the seed heads.  The small round seed heads now all dried are Burdock, and indeed they stick even to Demin. Burdock seed heads were the starting point inspiring the invention of Velcro.




Teasels grow abundantly, but I had to hang over one of the dykes on the levels to reach these.  I had not realised that there was a different teasel grown for the fulling industry and many were grown within Somerset.  I came across an interesting article on this topic and have put a link here for future reference.
 

On another side of the posy, the rose hips, and ivy flowers and seed heads can be seen more clearly.  You may wonder why I put in that clunky pieces of tree.  They may become a very rare thing in years to come.  The Ash tree is an iconic tree on the Mendips and along the levels, but is sadly disappearing at an alarming rate, and you cannot walk far but hear the sound of chain saws as the trees are being felled on an industrial scale.  Without their favourite roost and nesting trees we have been inundated with jackdaws, wood pigeons and many other birds, who seek the few remaining trees for shelter etc.


Although a sparse branched shrub at this time of the year the wild spindle tree really stands out with its split berries.  There are a couple of small wooded areas we pass, which I first noticed when we moved here. Spindle wood was used to make spindles again used in the woollen industry.

When I used to visit my grandma she would take me on country walks and point out the special wild flowers, but that was usually in the summer, some we would bring back home to arrange in posies, or press between the pages in a heavy book.  I mostly take pictures now of wild flowers, and this time I had no compunction about picking this material as many of the hedges had been severely trimmed back and these pieces would have been subjected to flaying blades within the next week or so.





 

16 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely posy Noelle. I can see it much better today in your photos. I love wild flowers, and seedheads too, and along with the colourful berries you have made a beautiful tribute to a British hedgerow in autumn! Euonymus is in the hedges here too, and makes a lovely splash of colour after everything else has faded. Are the ashes being affected by that fungal disease? Apparently it is here too, and in North America. Let's hope some survive. It was lovely to meet you yesterday and I am looking forward to the next meeting already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you liked the posy of wild flower seed heads and hips. The Ashes are suffering from ash dieback, and already all the large trees along roads have been cut down, but we also have great extents of forest which are disappearing. Yes I agree the zoom meeting was a great success.

      Delete
  2. I was thrilled to see your posy last night Noelle, with so many of my favourites, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your post today - so much intriguing information, especially from the linked post about the fulling industry. Thanks so much for sharing thse snippets as well as your posy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have your props, and I tend to go down the sharing information I have found. Often I discover new things are a result of wanting to post something of interest, and it keeps my 'research' interest going.

      Delete
  3. Your hedgerows served you well, Noelle (and I expect the local wildlife appreciates them too). I love the teasel, although I'm not personally acquainted with it and I gather that it tends to be invasive. Its form makes me think of a miniature Banksia, an Australian wildflower slowly creeping into the US nursery trade. Good to see you on Sunday, if only virtually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have some interesting wildlife. The teasel is well adapted and where is is happy regenerates itself from seed. I wouldn't grow it in this small garden, but I have seen it grown amongst ornamental grasses to great effect.

      Delete
  4. It's just amazing how much colour there still is in November Noelle. Mother Nature just gets on with it herself. I love your wild flower posy. The teasels are much loved by birds but as I said on Sunday were not appreciated by my fellow allotment plot holders 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they enjoyed a 'dig', but I doubt they were ever overunning their patches, as they are easy to spot and remove if you don't want them. The bees love them when they are in flower.

      Delete
  5. Hi Noelle, it was so nice to meet you on Sunday evening. As you know I love wildflowers and your posy is just my cup of tea. I'd like teasels in the garden as they're such bird magnets but they only grow in the woodland around us. They look fab with the hips, the ivy and spindleberry, which is another favourite of mine. Thanks for your kind words about my video - glad you like it. The music can always be found in the description underneath. I find it very relaxing too. It comes from Epidemic Sound. Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was also very nice to meet you too Annette. Your video shows your garden and all its beauty.

      Delete
  6. I love dried pods. It's a terrific bouquet. Sometimes the pods, or dried flower heads, are as pretty as the flower in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the beauty of pods. I have gradually over the year been saving elements from the garden and have them arranged in vases without water.

      Delete
  7. This is such a gorgeous posy, Noelle! It demonstrates that you don't need a lot of flowers to create something really beautiful. Love the teasel seed heads and delicate rose hips. Sorry I missed you over zoom, the time difference was a bit difficult for me in the Southern hemisphere. Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is the option of arranging one morning one: Cathy may well think of that for a later date.

      Delete
  8. Noelle, your wildflower posy is a delight. I love the memory of your grandmother taking you for walks to gather them. So special to meet you Sunday--a lovely and special time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you Susie. I think it was a way of keeping us entertained on long walks. All my mother's family loved the countryside.

      Delete