Monday 28 November 2022

In a Vase on Monday - End of November 2022

The Iceberg Rose against the end wall still had a couple of stems with buds on and are now forming the central floral element in today's vase.  Three leaves from a silver leaved hederifolium and a couple of stems of the still flowering Fuchsia 'Silver Linings' which had a few bees visiting this morning in the clear bright sunshine, make up the rest. 


I've only just started my new book: Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.  I ought to really get it finished but I am reading several books at the same time! Non of the others are fiction.

The weeks slip by at this time of the year, and I am trying to take full advantage of all the day light hours, and have seemed to have separated activities into day time and and those that can be done when it is dark.  I love light, and this way the darkness is not just a period of doing nothing, I look forward to enjoying those activities that I can do when it is not light, and hence the darkness is not so hard to bear.  I have just realised that I have picked the flowers and arranged them this morning in the light, which has been lovely, but then I am now doing an activity which I could be doing when the light has faded.  Flower picking on Sunday morning and writing up the post in the evening, may be a more favourable method until the days are longer late February when the days are noticeably longer.

I'm joining in with Cathy this Monday morning as usual, and hopefully there will be others joining in too.

7 comments:

  1. A rose in November? Wonderful and the other elements complement it nicely. I agree with you about the darker days, I have been in Florida so long I don't even like cloudy days. I read Lessons In Chemistry this summer and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Iceberg' is an outstanding rose Noelle and the cyclamen foliage makes for a fine partner. I've haven't read 'Lessons In Chemistry' yet so will be interested to hear what you think about it. I've read some excellent reviews of the book and one of my fellow reading group members has most kindly passed on her copy for me to read. Like you I'm not a fan of these dark nights but that shortest day is not so far off now 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rose is still perfect Noelle so, like my delphinium, it is good to use it in a vase while you can. Those cyclamen leaves are so pretty, aren't they, an using the fuchsia for height is such a good idea. I haven't come across that book before so will go and read up on what it's about - I have a huge backlog of ebooks to read, bought when Amazon sends me 99p book of the day offers!! Not all of mine are fiction, either

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely arrangement, Noelle. I noted a single white rose in my own garden (noID) yesterday but sadly it was already past its prime. I've read 'Lessons in Chemistry' and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris, I am sure you still appreciated that last rose.

      Delete
  5. A perfect rose in November is a treasure and I like the fact that it is white, reflecting light and maybe hinting at the winter to come… Having a fuchsia blooming still is also amazing! Wishing you lots of sunshine in the daylight hours Noelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A. This fuschsia goes on far longer than any other, and with its pretty small silver leaves, an absolute favourite in the garden. Each year I take cuttings to share.

      Delete