Monday 7 November 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Early November

Today's vase is a beautiful black Japanese Vase which my father bought when he visited his friend there over 50 years ago.  It is a raku vase and seeps or rather gently perspires around its bottom rim, which is why it is standing on this lovely oriental inspired trivet which Angela Morley made a few years ago.

A pretty pink daisy shaped ie single chrysanthemum is joined by golden lonicera and dark red Persicaria Red Dragon, as dragons are a favourite Japanese motif and red in Japanese culture is said to represent protection, strength, peace and power and to scare away evil spirits. The Persicaria is a great garden plant here and was a gift from Cathy herself.  Cathy is the host of this weekly get together, and I shall be joining her as usual together with an armful of other flowers contributors to show an arrangement of plants from their gardens. 



The Japanese from early times cultivated and loved Chrysanthemums, and even have a charming legend, which I shall share with my grand-daughter as she is interested in Japanese culture. 

A few weeks ago when the flower at the apex was opening, I could not tell whether Chrysanthemum Hillside Apricot would make the grade as far as my tastes were concerned. How would it look when it opened fully and how would the plant look like in the garden?  Growing a plant a in my own garden and observing it at a number of stages is what I find particularly interesting.


I've already been able to cut and share stems with friends, and have used the side flowers for smaller posies such as this one.  The Pittosporum Garnettii and a few leaves of the evergreen Epimedium join the single flowered pink chrysanthemum. 



My thanks go to my dear gardening friend Brenda for giving me me this plant.  We met on AGS Zooms, and at the Somerset HPS, and enjoy continuing our friendship through emails during which we exchange all manner of tips and not just on things gardening.  
 

14 comments:

  1. I love the colour as well as the fresh, clean look of the single flowered Chrysanthemum and the way you have arranged them in Japanese style - the Red Dragon leaves are perfect in the background. And the Pittosporum foliage is nice for vases too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, the Pittosporum is a great shrub and I am using the lower branches quite regularly.

      Delete
  2. The vase itself is a lovely form and your flowers are artfully arranged. Lovely! Hope the dragons watch over you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, from the look of the skies at night, I think they were breathing fire, but the bangs betrayed the fact that it was probably fireworks.

      Delete
  3. Lovely arrangement, and that is one of my favorite shades of pink. My grandmother loved it, wore the color in silken blouses. I call that shade 'Leona Pink' after her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is a very pretty pink, and a very nice shade to have in a silk blouse too. Your grandmother Leona must have been a very elegant lady.

      Delete
  4. The contents are very appropriate for the lovely Japanese raku vase, Noelle - I always particularly enjoy the raku work on the Great Pottery Throwdown, as the results are so variable. Other than P Tom Thumb, I forget about pittosporum foliage, which is a shame as it could provide year round foliage interest. Using epimedium is a good idea too, which I must try to remember! Thanks for joining in today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy as you know with a very small garden, I get to use almost everything especially at this time of year when there is less and less. I am already worrying about next Sunday!

      Delete
  5. Oh that's an attractive arrangement Noelle and it's most interesting to hear about all your Japanese bits and pieces. One of my nieces has taken a career break and she and partner are presently working/ travelling in Japan for a year. They were all set to get in March 2020 and began to think that their adventure would never happen! Liking the look of your latest chrysanthemum addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely opportunities for people and Japan is a beautiful destination, they will have some adventures to share on their return.

      Delete
  6. It's a lovely Chrysanthemum and your arrangement makes it shine. I enjoyed the legend you shared too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, finding that legend was a fluke, and it was nice to share it as it was relevant to my arrangement.

      Delete
  7. That's a pretty and unusual chrysanthemum, Noelle. I wouldn't have thought to display soft colours in a black vase, but it really works and makes the arrangement pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Horticat. Changes vases makes such a difference.

      Delete