Monday 31 July 2023

In a Vase on Monday - 31 July 2023

 Its been a rainy and dull week weather wise, but plants still keep growing, and inevitably from time to time some plants benefit from a severe cut back as there is still time for another good flush of flowers in the season.  One plant that works particularly well given this treatment is Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott'.


This first came to the garden as a small seedling from Alison who now has a flower farm, and recently when she came round my garden, she realised that hers had 'disappeared' and she was able to take a few back to her garden.  I love the way its strong but wiry stems weave their way through the border, and is particularly useful around the base of rose shrubs.

The Blue Vase is a Cloisonné Vase which brought back by my mother from China many years ago, it is a pair and my sister gave me one, so this vase is dedicated to her.  By its side is one of the Chinese figurines that Mr S and I picked up on our trip to China over twenty five years ago.

This week I have looked up all the elements included in the vase, for which two in particular has a scent that I find really pleasing: the Chamaemelum which also came from Alison and the Achillea.

Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott'

Chamaemelum nobile ‘Flore Pleno’

Achillea ageratum also called English Mace 

Sedum spectabile Autumn Joy

Pittosporum Garnettii

In a Vase on Monday is a weekly affair devised by Cathy and I link this post to hers as do several other people who like to arrange their garden flowers and greenery. 

8 comments:

  1. Very delicate and pretty, an esp. pretty potentilla. Lovely vase and story behind it! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott' is lovely. Pittosporum is a great foliage choice. And the vase is beautiful, nice gift from your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that potentilla is gorgeous and really works beautifully in your stunning Chinese vase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's so good that you could pass some plants back to Alison - one of the pluses of sharing plants with your friends. I hope that she is keeping well and that her flower farm is flourishing. Beautiful mementos from China from your family as well as your own trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really pleased to see that potentilla in a vase and to see that yours definitely looks PINK! I bought some plantlets earlier this year, mostly for the new obelisk border, only one of which has flowered so far, it is far more of a salmony colour than I anticipated...have you found the colour varies? With its foliage and the accompanying material it looks really effective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a charming arrangement, Noelle. The Pittosporum is a perfect accent for the Potentilla, supporting but not overshadowing it. And how wonderful that you were able to return Alison's gift to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Potentilla is quite a delightful flower on its long stems and I can imagine it looks lovely climbing/spreading among other plants as it does in your vase. I remember Alison used to blog - I do hope her business is going well. The vase itself is also lovely - how nice to have such an exotic family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, Alison and I enjoy meeting up from time to time visiting for instance the flower festival coming up in a couple of weeks' time at the Bishops Palace in Wells, and from time to time I visit her and her garden.

      Delete