Monday 10 July 2023

In a Vase on Monday-A Fortunate Woman


The roses are having a little rest, and I have busy moving a large amount of mulch delivered on a palette in one of those big square bags.  Moving buckets and gently spreading them on the ground gets me right down to soil level and appreciating plants that maybe don't get that much attention. What a fortunate woman I am having the leisure and space to garden, to relax, to listen to the birds, and feel clean air and view clear skies.


The long purple spikes of Teucrium hircancicum seem to be longer and more splendid this year.  I grew these from seed in a packet which came with one of those gardening magazines which flop onto my mat about three times a month, ie three different magazines! I had grown it elsewhere in the garden but these plants have longer flowering stems.  In the middle a stem of Eryngium Planum Tetre Petra and below Achillea ageratum also called English Mace and today I found out also Sweet Nancy.  that is the paler flower.  The more yellow one is probably Achillea 'Terracotta', but much bleached by the sun.

For our reading group I am one book ahead and have just finished A Fortunate Woman by Polly Morland.  It just made me envious wanting that sort of medical practitioner. Years ago when my son was born I had a wonderful doctor Dr McDiarmid, he had that personal touch a true physician.


I am looking forward to the discussions in a month or so.


12 comments:

  1. Wonderful textures. I had no idea a Teucrium could look like that! I know them as Germander here - a different thing. The Flamboyant trees are in full bloom here. Happy Monday! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Teucrium is splendid, it must really stand out in the garden bed. I love your blend of all flower shapes– flat, round and pointed! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amelia, this is a caucasian germander, and yes I have just looked up the American one which doesn't look like this one. Oh, that red and the silhouette of the Flamboyant Trees are really magnificent. Then when one can get up to the flowers, they are quite intricate too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That teucrium looks stunning, Noelle. I did grow some from seed once but it disappeared after a year or two - can't remember what type it was but I will now add T hircancicum to my seed list, thank you. I am pleased that I have 2 decent plants from the Tetra Petra seed you gave me (or did you give me plants?), one of which is flowering and looking striking. The height of the teucrium looks most effective above the shorter contents of your vase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I can't say for sure, I just sent off seeds or plants to people, and don't make any record, if I have any seed on the Teucrium, I'll save some and send it on to you as soon as it is ready. I sowed it in August last year on the edge of my mini veg plot. It is a perennial.

      Delete
  5. Lovely flowers, and I agree getting down to the soil level is so beneficial for the garden and gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pacing myself, just a couple or so buckets on any gardening time, then a little dead heading etc.

      Delete
  6. That's the nicest description of spreading mulch I've ever heard! The arrangement is a beauty too. The new-to-me Teucrium is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The description just flowed out, and not at all contrived, it is the best mulch I have ever used, and a joy to handle. Yes we are both impressed by that Teucrium.

      Delete
  7. The vase is lovely Noelle and I was pleased to see an old favourite I grew in my old garden- the Teucrium. In fact, it took over, finding conditions there very much to its liking! So I have been hesitant to plant any in my new garden. The Achillea ageratum is new to me though and I will have to take a closer look at that. Have a good week Noelle, and happy mulching! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember what I said but it looks as if my first comment on this post has disappeared Noelle 😢 I did wonder at the time and meant to return sooner to check. That teucrium is rather impressive. I only have the one gardening magazine these days so perhaps I'm missing out. I've read some good reviews of ' A Fortunate Woman' so must see if it's available from the library.

    ReplyDelete