Monday 7 August 2023

In a Vase on Monday

 I couldn't get back to sleep after waking at 4 a.m. this morning, and got up very early this morning.  As the sun came up we had light mist, and the garden was really quite beautiful, with spiders webs laced with diamonds of moisture.  The flowers were cut very early, and I had to wait for better light to take a picture, for the one taken in the kitchen with some of the wild damsons was not as bright as I would like it to be.

There is far more light in the conservatory, and here a couple of hours later is the little arrangement along with some of the small terracotta soldiers and horse which we bought yonks ago when we visited the buried terracotta army in China. 


I wanted to show the new Chrysanthemum, bought earlier this year, which is growing in a large glazed pot.  It is most probably Chrysanthemum Chatsworth.  The probably came about because I mixed up the labels when it came to potting up the rooted cuttings when they first arrived in April.  I only realised this when I checked the name on the lovely white Chrysanthemum which is also in flower, and knew that one should be White Gem, but that was not the name on the label, and the White Gem label was with another plant.  It is a fabulous plant and has been in flower for over two weeks, it could be this early due to it being a young plant.  Since it is hardy, I hope it will go through the winter.  I did loose my very favourite from last year, so will give it some protection just in case.

The darker foliage is Pittosporum Tom Thumb, the golden is from  Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold', and the purple are shortened stems so much loved by bees and hoverflies, of  Origanum laevigatum Herrenhausen. 

This post will be linked as usual on Cathy's post today. 

16 comments:

  1. A beautiful colour chrysanthemum, Noelle. Reminds me that fall is just around the corner, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Eliza, what with the mist and all, this morning! I had not expected them to flower this early either, but I do like orange and have not much out in that colour at the moment.

      Delete
  2. What a glorious colour that chrysanthemum is - marmalade orange perhaps? What lovely accompaniments you have chosen too - how tall does the L nitida grow? I have had a few weeks of waking around 4 too, Noelle, so sympathise, and I also tend to get up - the last two nights were better though, so hopefully that has broken the trend...🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes with a gradation growing paler towards the other rim. The L nitida would probably grow over a metre high if you let it. I like to shape it into balls or have a bare stem and prune into a shape after that. It can take a very hard prune and bounce back. Hope your sleep and mine return to some sort of normality, though I have always been a 'lark'.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful vase and I love the Chinese figures and the table you placed it on. The backdrop of your garden is quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I still remember the chap we bought them from. He used to follow the bus on his bike with things he had made. He must have known where we were going, and he was absolutely delighted when I recognised him about 30 miles from our hotel.

      Delete
  4. I took those Chrysanthemums for dahlias on first examination, Noelle. I wish I could grow those flowers in my own garden - all one sees here outside of a florist's shop are runty little things sold just before our Thanksgiving holiday in late November. That purple Origanum is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, the conditions do seem to suit chrysanthemums here, but I have do no a nightly patrol for slugs and snails and other things that much the petals.

      Delete
  5. Great color on the Chrysanthemum (which I mistook for dahlia). The light is sometimes elusive isn't it. I'm often chasing it around the house trying to get a better photo. Your vase is effective in both locations but I do love the figures standing guard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, a friend on facebook thought it was his favourite Dahlia: David Howard and once he said that I realised how similar the colours are. I too like those little figures and cherish them and the memories of our holiday in China.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful oregano, I like the mix with the other colors. Thought you had dahlias there, but it is a nice rusty color chrysanth. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia. With a small garden it isn't always easy to think of what would go with what, but that oregano seems to pair up with just about anything that is in flower this time of the year.

      Delete
  7. A lovely rich vase Noelle, looking glorious in your conservatory. I always associate Chrysanthemums with the Far East, so your staging with the treasures from China is very fitting. I also associate them with autumn though - is it flowering earlier than usual or am I misled! (Although autumn is definitely in the air today!) I believe I have that same Oregano and it goes so well with the gold flowers and purple foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, you are right about the association with China and also Japan. I wrote about this some time ago. This is the first time I have grown this variety, and purchased them as rooted cuttings. I too thought it was early, and I have two other from them doing the same thing. I did choose these for their early flowering. I have other that are due to come into flower a little later. They are supposed to be hardy, so it will be interesting to see how they perform next year.

      Delete
  8. It looks lovely. I never think to use clippings from shrubs for displaying in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'greenery' adds some attractive contrasting colours with some having interesting forms. As the flowers fade, it is easy to put fresh ones in as the shrubs can last for a couple of weeks or more. Rosemary works really well and the scent of some shrubs is a lovely addition too.

      Delete