Saturday 5 August 2023

Six on Saturday - 5th August 2023

It is another soggy Saturday here, but luckily the pictures were in the can from one of the drier interludes this week. I even woke up very very early as I heard a few drops of rain hit the window and remembered that I had left some little seedlings outside with a non draining holder, so like all 'parents' of babies I was up to attend to them and bring them into the conservatory, waterproof over night wear and garden shoes, slipping back into bed for a couple more hours horizontal tossing. I wonder what other gardeners will write about, to find out go over to Jim's anchoring post, and catch up at your leisure. 

1. It is four years since Agapanthus 'Charlotte' was planted in the front garden.  All the plants are doing very well, and being small and upright just right for me.  The pale blue petals are quite striking with their darker mauve centre line.  They have been flowering nicely for at least a fortnight.


2. Last year I grew a couple of lovely Chrysanthemums and this year ordered a few more to try.  When it came to potting them up, I must have mixed up the labels, and it is only as they are coming into bloom and by looking back at the names on my order form and the pictures on Halls of Heddon website, can I work out which plant I planted where.  The spoon petaled Chrysanthemum 'White Gem 21f' has been in flower for at  least two weeks, and is bearing up with the heavy rain. It also holds its blooms nicely above the foliage.

Chrysanthemum White Gem 21f


3. In the gravel garden this small yellow Allium flavum is the current star. It stands out nicely against the gravel and particularly during the grey days we have been having.


4. In June I picked up a small Fuchsia 'La Campanella' from Morrisons, and just look at it how in the mixed pot, just two months later my £1.30 spend is certainly working beautifully.

Fuchsia 'La Campanella' 

5. To emulate a pairing in my previous garden which was quite stunning, after four years growing through the bay tree Clematis 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' is starting to be strong enough to make a lovely show.

Clematis 'Purpurea Plena Elegans'

Close up the blooms are equally beautiful.


As well as butterflies, and dragon flies, when the rain has stopped and I am out there looking around the garden, I have been surprised to find some moths that I had not seen before.  I posted pictures of two of them earlier in the week.  Just a the White plume moth was small and delicate, the Oak eggar moth was bold and brash'.

6. Lasiocampa quercus, female Oak eggar, seen basking in the sun in the open, was conspicuous with its tawny furry wings and small white eye circled with in dark on the wings. It was resting on a Phlomis russeliana leaf, in the front, close to a street light.  A member of the Somerset Moth Group confirmed its identity of Oak eggar, female.


Insects are having the time of their life, and slugs and snails are escaping my searches as each morning I view my seedlings in the veggie area disappearing.  Even the roses are being targeted, at first I thought they were cute but I shall be moving the crickets to a better place for the roses, if I can catch them.

P.S. I have Cyclamen hederifolium seeds available.  For UK only, if you would like some, add a comment which will not be published, with your name and address and I shall post them to you.


12 comments:

  1. That moth almost looks 'fluffy' what a wonderful find. I do like the colour of your clematis too, what a lovely show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, the moth is quite something, I have found Somerset Moth Group and am posting findings there. It is interesting to see what other are finding and use the distribution maps for the county.

      Delete
  2. That Clematis is a show. I directed a Morrisons clematis up my tiny bay tree but I think the slugs got it! Love the moth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel moths are underrated and can be very beautiful as yours is. I try to grow plants like honeysuckle for their benefit as well as mine! The clematis is stunning and yes I too have rushed out to save plant babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful photos 🙂🌼 Love your gravel garden! Lovely bargain Fuchsia, and the pretty shade of Chrysanthemum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Rajkotwala5 August 2023 at 16:18

    Love your gravel garden! 🙂🌸 That bargain Fuchsia was a good buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fuchsia was a bargain, you never know what you will find in that supermarket. Last year I found a mangave plant. I love the yellow allium, I think I will try it in my gravel garden. That is one of my favourite clematis, always full of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lovely purple clematis is beautiful, I used to have it but it got so overgrown without me realising it and now it is no more, I must buy another. Also like your chrysanthemum, lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely chrysanthemum, like the colour. I used to have the double purple clematis, but then lost it when it got so overgrown and I hadn't noticed, must buy another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet another soggy Saturday here too Noelle ☹️ I chuckled at the thought of you flying out in the night to rescue your plant babies but would have done the same. That little chrysanthemum is indeed a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've seen apaganthus that small before, is it a dwarf type? I like how it puts so much more emphasis on the flowers. Your fuchsia is very pretty -- there seem to be an endless variety of them and I want to get every single one. Finally, I haven't been very interested in clematis in the past, but those doubled flowers might be enough to change my mind. What a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, all the three you have mentioned are excellent plants. I hadn't bought the agapanthus as dwarf type but they were described as compact. They were just small plants that I bought at the Rare Plant Fair at the Bishop's Palace from a trusted grower that I had bought from before, so I took them on trust. They are also very floriferous, and as they are sterile and don't set seed, they just keep on flowering. They have gone through the winters in the ground in the front garden, and are clumping up very nicely.

      Delete