Monday 29 January 2024

In a Vase on Monday - Snowdrops and Magnolia Seedheads

Once again, snowdrops feature and I wonder how many there will be either from bloggers like me or Cathy herself who tirelessly puts up her post for us to link in with.

This week's little posy is an assembly of two types of snowdrops:  some of the neat double snowdrop  Galanthus Mrs Beatrix Stanley and large single elwesii.  It is Anna that I thank for the lovely double snowdrop, received as two bulbs back in 2019. The foliage I have used before several times. The vase is just one of my very small hexagonal jam jars.



At their base are the seed pods of Magnolia Grandiflora. Last week, I sauntered into the Bishop's Palace Gardens in Wells for two reasons.  One was to take a little gift and a bookmark that I made for James the Head Gardener, and the second reason is that I wanted to take pictures of the Golden Weeping Willow which will feature on my Tuesday Tree Appreciation post tomorrow.  

When I was returning through the arched doorway through a wall, a lady asked me if I knew what the large tree was growing against the Palace, so we walked together and she pointed out the Magnolia Grandiflora.  I confirmed the name with a gardener nearby and also asked if I may pick up and take away a few of the seed heads which were lying on the path, and she smiled: I was just about to rake them up and they would end up on the bonfire.

15 comments:

  1. Your snowdrops are very dear. Nice to have the connection with the head gardneners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard James talk at various lectures locally, and often have a quick word whilst I tour the garden. He has done wonders for Wells Bishop Palace gardens.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to having enough snowdrops in bloom to pick as they always make such delightful little posies, as yours does. Love those seedheads! I have such fond memories of Wells when we had a study weekend there during my degree - I am pretty sure the Palace Gardens were't open to the public back then, so a return visit is most definitely on my wichl list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must definitely be in touch with me by email when you are planning this visit not least I am looking forward to seeing you.

      Delete
  3. I doubt I'd have ever gotten acquainted with snowdrops if it hadn't been for you and other UK gardeners, Noelle. Of course, I've no hope whatsoever of growing them in my climate, where even "summer snowflakes" (Leucojum) have little chance of survival. So I make do enjoying them in posts like yours. I do have LOTS of Magnolia grandiflora seedpods, though. What gravity and rain doesn't bring down, the squirrels do - they love the bright red seeds and are relentless about digging them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seeds in the seedpods must be a jolly good food source for the squirrels.

      Delete
  4. I just love the snowdrops...such a beautiful beginning to the growing season for me when they finally show up. And I love the seedpods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I had not realised that those Magnolias come from the South East of the United States, I had imagined they were oriental, there will be a little more to learn about these stunning plants.

      Delete
  5. Hello Noelle and thank you for visiting my IAVOM post this week. :)
    I am familiar with snowdrops, they used to grow around my childhood home in a mountainous area, quite a way from where I live now, so I am so happy to see snowdrops appear in many of my blogging friend's posts. Also, I recognised your 'vase', a preserving jar, and I see you have another blog about preserving! It seems we have even more in common than a love of flowers. If you look at a post I added just last week, I made strawberry jam and a loaf of bread with my grandson, which I wrote about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passing one appreciation and the skills you have will be a life long gift for your grandson. I love baking too, and bread is a speciality. If you simply type in Bread in the search engine, you will find just some of my posts! How about trying these pumpkin long rolls/sticks next time he visits, they also made a fabulous pre dinner snack for hungry people. https://noellemace.blogspot.com/2018/12/pumpkin-bread-sticks-recipe.html

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see the descendants of my snowdrops in your vase Noelle. She is one of the distinctive snowdrops that you can recognise easily. No snowdrops in my vase this week but maybe next week 🤔 😂 Those magnolia seed pods look huge in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are large, and there are some interesting structures. All your three snowdrops received at that time are doing well. I have even managed to share Diggory with a friend too.

      Delete
  7. Naturally I think your snowdrops are delightful Noelle, especially the double one. But those seedheads are equally attractive! They make a lovely addition to your arrangement and how lucky you were to save a few before they were burnt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love snowdrops. I hope to have a few come up in the grass soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely to look forward to. I don't have any lawn or grass, and today we were up at the Cathedral and their had a beautiful swathe of Nivalis snowdrops in the garden at the centre of the cloisters.

      Delete