Saturday 13 January 2024

Six on Saturday - My first in 2024

 The soggy, damp, dismal, dark, depressing weather we experienced during December seems to be temporarily replaced with more seasonal weather. A few bright skies and actually being able to view sunrise at around 8:15ish this week, has done me and the garden a world of good.  Having had a bad dose of some virus, being able to view the garden from the conservatory has been a boost as I recovered.  I also enjoyed reading everyone else's posts on SOS, and it was lovely to receive a nice card from my SOS sister on a plant based theme of course!

The ground is still not suitable to work with, but a few leaves have been picked off the gravel area.

Jim with his large garden compared to mine is our 'anchor man', and it is there that I am linking this post, if you go there, there will be others linking in, and you may well be entertained by reading some of the posts.

1. I've looked around my small back garden and found a few things which caught my eye this week, and willing to share.  Since before Christmas with the mild weather some of the earlier snowdrops have been tempted out, sadly a few clumps have been nibbled 'petal-less' by itinerant marauders.  These two seem to have escaped so far, and now the cold weather has arrived, hopefully they will stand for longer.  

Galanthus Fieldgate Prelude: An early flowering snowdrop with inner markings that fade up towards the long bottle green ovary.


2. This group of Galanthus Godfrey Owen here opening up in the sun, is thriving. The clump was divided, the second half placed in a more shaded part is a poor sight.  Since this is one of the first varieties  up early in the year, the second clump will be repositioned not far away, in a better spot.  Even Mr S noticed the difference in this snowdrop. The inner three perianth segments have similar sizing and length to the three outer perianths and are pure white, giving the blooms a more fulsome look of six perianths or as I explained to Mr S 'petals'. 


What I am finding with the early snowdrops, is that the clumps on 'higher ground' and those that the catch the sun are less prone to being nibbled,  which is an excuse to do some moving, and also not getting too excited about adding different varieties to the garden. 

3. The low sun has also been catching the Cornus, making it live up to its name 'Mid Winter Fire'. Yes there are two Cornus here, one bought at the gardening club under a different name, and the other one bought from a nursery.


4. In the winter there is nothing quite like fresh herbs to pep up dishes, and several parsley plants  grown from seed have done well. Having sown the seed and succeeded I shall be doing this again in a couple of months time, as these plants will probably go to seed at the start of summer.


5.  I noticed last week that Pseudowinteras were having their turn, not to be outdone, here is a lovely 'Red Leopard', which I moved from its shady summer position to one which gets better light.  I shall continue to grow it in a large pot so that it can be moved as the seasons change.  One year the leaves got scorched badly by the strong sun. In the summer its red spots are more prominent, a little like my own freckles I would suppose. This plant was first bought in 2016, and am only now starting to use it in cooking and am enjoying its spicy peppery influence in winter casseroles and soups.


6. Now it is obvious that the slightly etiolated growth first appearing towards the end of November is a flower spike.  This is the first time I have had Aeonium Velour come into flower.  To be fair, I had always broken up the plant before it had reached this size, but had not got round to it in the autumn.  



The lack of sun over the last few months has caused the usual lovely maroon colouring to replaced with green,.  Once it has flowered, I'll be breaking off a couple of the rosettes to start new plants, and if there is room in the front garden, the rest of the plant will spend its last season planted straight into the garden.


There always comes a time when, as plants mature or grow too large for its space, there is the wrench of having to 'despatch' them, and for favoured plants there is the process of 'regeneration' by this I mean taking cuttings or stolons and planting back up in new soil, ready to go for another few years of enjoyment and then process starts all over again.


8 comments:

  1. It’s great to have an aeonium in bloom! I've never had one until now, but fingers crossed I will one day...Nothing on the horizon here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we went to the Isles of Scilly we saw some in bloom, but I believe there they are able to grow them year round in the outdoors.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're on the mend and that the improved weather and views of the garden helped. Those snowdrops are lovely and the Cornus in the sun is a pleasing site. I very nearly featured parsley today - I don't usually have much luck with it but at the moment it's doing really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we are each having a good year with the parsley, and I think the cooler wetter weather helped through summer into autumn.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to read that you have been under the weather Noelle and hope that you have fully recovered. Lovely to see your snowdrops - who or what is doing all the nibbling? It's most remiss of them. That cornus certainly glows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will have guessed dear Anna, that it is either snails or slugs! We are getting there slowly!

      Delete
  4. The only flowering aeonium I have seen were outside in the Scillies, so well done you! Your Cornus stems are looking lovely in the sunshine, such a good addition to the winter garden. hope you are feeling a lot better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower spike on the Aeonium is slowly growing, and I hope to feature it again in its various stages. Starting to feel better, many thanks.

      Delete