Monday 15 January 2024

In a Vase on Monday - Winter cold grips not the nodding snowdrops

I'm joining in with Cathy for my first Vase this Year! 

What is not to love but the sight of snowdrops on a cold sunny day?  With a selection of silver grey stems of other foliage here are a few precious stems of Galanthus Geoffrey Owen. This is a beautiful snowdrop with double the usual three outer petals, all six with the same proportions giving the drops their unique fulsome look. Leaves with a silvery or greyish tone complement the blooms which is why I have a couple of stems each of Hebe Topiara, and Pittosporum Garnettii.  Since all my 'Terracotta Army' figurines are overwintering on the corner of the table in the conservatory, I left them all in situ for perhaps a first view of them all together.   




As I was picking the drops just after lunch from the garden today, I couldn't detect any scent, but now they are opening in their little vase, which I have moved to my desk, I can smell a delicate almondy scent from the beautiful Galanthus Geoffrey Owen.  Usually described as a mid season flowering snowdrop, perhaps because of its situation or perhaps also on account of the very mild period until recently, this has been an early flowerer this year. They will no doubt bend as the freeze as observed by William Wordsworth in his poem, but will recover easily as temperatures rise above freezing during the day.

Galanthus Geoffrey Owen with its unique six outers 

I had not realised that William Wordsworth had written a poem about snowdrops until just recently: 

William Wordsworth 

TO A SNOWDROP

Lone Flower, hemmed in with snows and white as they
But hardier far, once more I see thee bend
Thy forehead, as if fearful to offend,
Like an unbidden guest. Though day by day,
Storms, sallying from the mountain-tops, waylay
The rising sun, and on the plains descend;
Yet art thou welcome, welcome as a friend
Whose zeal outruns his promise! Blue-eyed May
Shall soon behold this border thickly set
With bright jonquils, their odours lavishing
On the soft west-wind and his frolic peers;
Nor will I then thy modest grace forget,
Chaste Snowdrop, venturous harbinger of Spring,

And pensive monitor of fleeting years! 

I was delighted to hear from my friend Kay, and having read the poem she sent me, which was Little Ladies by Laurence Alma-Tadema, decided to look up other poems which lead me to the one by William Wordsworth. 


Snowdrops

Little ladies, white and green,
With your spears about you,
Will you tell us where you've been
Since we lived without you?

You are sweet, and fresh, and clean,
With your pearly faces;
In the dark earth where you've been
There are wondrous places:

Yet you come again, serene,
When the leaves are hidden;
Bringing joy from where you've been
You return unbidden—

Little ladies, white and green,
Are you glad to cheer us?
Hunger not for where you've been,
Stay till Spring be near us!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Mine can't show up soon enough. Yours give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these very early varieties, then help one to appreciate that the others will be following soon.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poems and a stunning snowdrop. With all our mild weather I was hoping to see some of mine brave the winter and come up. But sadly not yet. And smart of them as we are in the polar vortex right now. Hoping a warm microclimate near the house may be perfect maybe in February when we hopefully warm again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, sometimes waiting is the thing to do, to ponder what will arrive and just a little peep at our posts from last year. We have a relatively mild regime here, protected as we are from harsh winds.

      Delete
  3. Gosh that must be a lovely clump of Godfery you have it you can afford to be so generous in your pickings! He looks very grand with the chosen greenery, with the terracotta army figures standing proudly in state around him. I forget I have some of these figures although in a diffierent colourway - I don't think I have ever used them as a prop, which is probably waht I had in mind when I got them 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I thought five just the right number for a vase, but it was very nearly the whole of the clump! Hopefully without the flowers, the bulbs are even more likely to bulk up for next year.

      Delete
  4. Lovely little ladies indeed, and beautifully accompanied by both their warrior protection squad and perfect poems. That's a great way to launch your IAVOM posts in 2024, Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, so pleased you liked the poems as well. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  5. Oh a most appealing winter vase Noelle and beautiful poems too. There are a good few references to snowdrops in poems out there 😂 I don't think that I have come across that second one before so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the poem my friend Kay, recommended

      Delete
  6. Beautiful snow drops. I love the figurines as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful close up, it makes me appreciate the flower. It must make your heart sing to find the snowdrops. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, I wouldn't be without them!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing the poems Noelle, as well as your lovely vase. I have heard at least part of the first poem, but did not realize it was by Wordsworth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Cathy, this poem in its entirety was also new to me. So pleased you enjoyed them.

      Delete