Tuesday 22 August 2017

Mixed Grain Bread the Sourdough Way


Another wonderful smelling bake from this month's challenge:  Mixed Grain Bread.  With white and wholemeal spelt, and white flour, honey,  fennel and caraway, and a very lively sourdough starter, these loaves are sure to taste nice.

However...I doubled on the recipe, but I think I put a little too much dough in the larger tin, and also I think they were about 20 minutes over proven.  Its warm and humid today, so setting the timer for a final two hour rise, and going off to do something else, was bound to lead to  'I wish I had gone to check sooner feeling'! 


Although on the recipe it gives a 500g bread tin as the container, the picture facing shows some little loaves cooling, so this is why there are three smaller loaves and a large one.  Next time I shall make dough for four small tins and the larger one.

I played at filling all my different tins with water this morning, and weighing them, and then calculating how much dough each one should hold.  Now I have a formula for working out the correct amount of ingredients to give the dough weights I need.  Well I have to put to good use all those maths lessons!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. It is good to see that school days were not wasted. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved maths and still do....I have a set of Maths books, recently published, and had started to go through them again...a little more interesting than doing SUDOKU!!!

      Delete
  2. If you can get hold of Tasmanian Leatherwood Honey it makes thisma devine loaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it does. We have lovely honey from the wild flowers on the Mendips. We use local honey and Mr S has found it a wonderful remedy for his Asthama. When we travel we try to find local honey to taste.

      Delete