Friday 5 January 2018

Crassula Ovata Gollum

From time to time I like to feature one of the succulents which grownaround the house.  Compared to our previous house, we don't quite have  windows with the right orientation.  This specimen could do with a little more light,  and as soon as the temperature rise above 10 C it will be moved into the conservatory.   Quite unusually the radiators were on side walls, which made the window sills far more favourable for growing plants on.



This plant is now over ten years old, about 12...it is really root bound, which I read, is no disadvantage.  It is  top heavy now, and has a wide trunk.  I am however fond of the plant, which is wedged in this oval planter which gives it some stability.  It has grown this shape just on its own.

A few years ago, I took some cuttings and was pleased to have given one to 'connoisseur' Kevin, who loves many plants but is really into orchids. It was he who brought Crassula Budha's Temple for me.  Having trawled through my blog, I'm really surprised that Gollum has not featured before.

By November 2019 plant having grown even larger,  shaping and pruning giving it a wonderful shape, it became necessary to consider its future.  With several 'Little Gollums' around the house, I decided to offer this to Alan who has a lovely stall in Wells Market selling various troughs etc.  You ought to have been there when I said the plant was his.  It made my day and his.

2 comments:

  1. Would that be what we call a money plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The standard one has round flat leaves..but yes, Brian, this is a form which has long tubular leaves with a flat pad at the end..this one is in need of a bit of sun which normally makes the ends reddish which shows them up to great advantage.

      Delete