Monday 29 January 2018

In a Vase on Monday - Small offerings

My hero sorted through the still unpacked boxes and found some of my little vases....The very smallest of my vases is a tiny very heavy three sided cut glass vase.

It has been raining during the day time every day, except for one or two hours of weak sunshine here and there, for ages.  Sometimes it has been much clearer at night, and I hope it will be so for the full moon on the 31st.  Cathy who hosts this meme has been getting some sunshine, and her vase this week brings together some choice pieces for January....it is well worth visiting her IAVOM, and through the comments and links to others see how plants and flowers are faring not only across the UK but also far and wide.

Just outside the conservatory one of the special snowdrops bought at last year's Shepton Mallett Snowdrop festival, has had just the one bloom.  Galanthus Elweseii has such lovely markings and I hope that when it gets planted in its permanent position it will clump up.  I love its broad glaucous leaves, which I left to feed up the bulb.


In support I have a standard small snowdrop, a few cyclamen, a very sodden stem of winter flowering Jasmine nudiflorum, a fern leaf, a struggling stem of Erysium linifolium 'Bowles Mauve', overwintered bud of Ghislaine de Feligonde, and a couple of stems of Lophomyrtus ralphii Little Star.  I had been growing this gem of a small shrub in a pot since I acquired it back in 2014.  It is much milder here and seems to be thriving in the ground, where I planted it out last autumn.


I wonder whether there will be another new to me galanthus to temp me when I visit the Shepton Mallett Snowdrop Festival next month, in company with fellow IAVOM Alison C.  I will also be sure to go to the Wells snowdrop event at the Bishop's Palace.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely and springlike. The cut glass vase is a beauty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is finding beautiful spring treasures for their vases this week. It makes the hope that winter is fading and spring is on its way that much closer although we all know that really there is still a lot of winter to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to read that you are meeting up with Alison to go to the snowdrop fair, Noelle :)Your litte gems are so precious at this time of year - and a rosebud too! So lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy... I have just seen a large iceberg rose bush covered with blooms in bud and open, in a sheltered spot!

      Delete
  4. A very spring like combination - the zingy green fern, hot pink cyclamen and yellow jasmine offset your pure white Elwesii beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a lovely early vase to welcome your garden....and a snowdrop festival! I would love to attend one someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find one near you. Do they grow in your area? It's a great way of rejoicing in one of the earliest blooming flowers in parks and gardens.

      Delete
  6. Hi Noelle, the rain just keeps on coming doesn't it? Yesterday was supposed to be dry but it wasn't though I am hopeful for tomorrow. Our treasures are all small just now, but beautiful none the less. Your little things look cheerful. I can see the moon tonight and there was a wonderful sunset as I drove home - almost in daylight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine this morning...and that glorious sunset yesterday....and so pleased the days are drawing out.

      Delete
  7. It's a cheerful vase showing spring is on the way. It sounds as if you have been bitten by the snowdrop bug too! Have fun at the snowdrop festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer kissed by their beauty!! I think it is because at this time of the year when it is dark and dismal they shine out.

      Delete
  8. Striking springy colors. I am sensing more Snowdrops in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So your crystal confirms what I had in mind...

      Delete
  9. The snowdrop looks all the brighter with the cyclamen as an accent. Best wishes searching out treasures for your snowdrop collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris..there will be plenty to temp me...but I want to be measured, only one or two!

      Delete
  10. A sweet winter posy that breathes the promise of the spring to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had. One. Whole. Millimetre. So far today. Still hoping the grey clouds will bring me more.
    Day by day watching the Crinum buds swell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The snowdrop is best appreciated close up, and what sweet companions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is a most pretty little vase Noelle. I am envious of your forthcoming trip to a snowdrop festival and wonder whether you will return home with a new 'drop or two. Your recent comment on my blog has been noted and I will be in touch later in the year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. I am gathering information on the best way to grow the specials in baskets in the ground...some more labels and good durable markers to make indelible name tags too!

      Delete
  14. The Bishops garden at Wells is beautiful, I envy you visiting in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will just pop in today when I saunter in to view the snowdrops. I believe they are earlier this year. Maybe there will be a picture or two!

      Delete