Thursday 23 August 2018

More New Plants - Alstroemeria

Last week I acquired a pot of Alstromerias...variety unknown from the plant stand at Llewelly's which is part of the Wells Almshouses.  My friend Jane runs the plant stall and proceeds are ploughed back into the garden. 

I had a wonderful clump in my last garden, donated from a friend, from which I used to pick blooms throughout the season.  I had tried to move it, and having not the knowledge then that they went so deep, managed to destroy it...but of course, they may well have resprouted since leaving.

Here is a sample which I had picked for one of my vases back in 2014.

I get a update each time Roger Brook the no dig gardener posts, and how timely that he has just posted about growing them.  I've also found a link to Viv Marsh who holds the National Collection and from whom you can order plants.

If you have a favourite Alstromeria, it will be interesting to read your comments.






6 comments:

  1. My daughter and I love Alstromerias. thank you for the links. I would like to try to grow them one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra..and when I was looking up Viv Marsh's web page I thought straight away of you....he grows Iris too!! Nice you were the first one to comment.

      Delete
  2. That's a most striking flower Noelle. Alstromerias are one of those plants that I've admired in the flesh but for some reason have never tried. Maybe one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see what the new plant will be like, but I don't think it will flower this year. There are some wonderful ones now available Anna. The flowers last a long time too.

      Delete
  3. I have just finished reading Rogers Blog Noelle. I will go and have a look at the National Collection, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Welcome! We learn so much from each other, nice to share. I also learn a lot from your posts Brian.

      Delete