Monday 23 September 2019

In a Vase On Monday - The Oriental Influence

 Yesterday I felt I just wanted to be out in the garden quietly thinking and pottering around, and follow my inclination at the time to carry out little tasks.  It was gently raining, warm and steady, but non the less, out I went.  Was I appropriately dressed?  No a summer frock and my 'going out' mac which was hanging off the hook in the utility, my crocs and no socks.  Really I ought to have had someone following me with a large umbrella over my head.  However I was perfectly content and went round almost in a meditative state.

My Japanese Umbrella Pine Sciadopitys verticillata, in its pot,  was moved to a more prominent position away from the shade of the house,  now the more gently autumn sun is less likely to scorch its leaves.  Just a little light prune yielded two stems and these inspired this week's IAVOM.  I didn't want to waste these precious and beautiful, well in my eyes, twigs.




Koyamaki is joined by Kiku which is the Japanese for Chrysanthemum, and is a symbol that represents longevity and rejuvenation.  To insert a little point of light a few blooms of Japanese Anemone Honorine Jobert.  The green central boss is appealing and the golden stamens are similar in colour to Chrysanthemum Dixter Orange.  Japanese anemones are native to China, so I have no hesitation in placing my Chinese Terracotta soldier in the frame...


I remember my father returning from Japan and amongst other things, he brought a pair of platform wooden shoes for my sister, and a picture of her balancing round the house in her Chinese pygamas  and 'stilted' shoes has just come to mind., strange how these memories just pop up from ages ago.  Also that was the year I danced the Dance of the China Man from the Nutcracker Ballet on stage, and I just a tiny bit peeved that I didn't have a pair to wear...but I love(d) my little sister, and I remember the feeling not lasting more than a day! 

Cathy has a lovely delicate arrangement this week...do go and have a peep!

3 comments:

  1. So you have been reliving your youth as well with memories of those wooden shoes! I really love that Chrysanthemum and it is wonderful to see it again and it is clever the way you have woven the Japanese theme into the display - thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post full of delightful memories and connections. I love your arrangment and your words remind me to b more meditative than I have been of late - I need more of that gentle calm in my day. Thank you Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ikebana is a beautiful style of flower arranging, you have captured it beautifully there Noelle.

    ReplyDelete