Thursday 3 December 2020

New Vegetable seeds arrive

 

So this is my seed order from MoreVeg all well packaged and on my doorstep with days of inputting the order, ordered evening of 30 November arriving Thursday 3 December, well that is pretty good service.  I had seeds from MoreVeg last year, and having just small quantities at reasonable prices allows for some variety on a small plot over the season, with fresh seed each year.

One my main reasons for choosing these crops is so that I can step from my back door, and pick some veggies free from pesticides, and without all those miles and plastic bags.

No.QuantityProduct no.NameUPVATTP
11 piece(s)BFDANBean French Dwarf Annabelle
£0.750%£0.75
21 piece(s)BFDTGBean French Dwarf Tendergreen
£0.750%£0.75
31 piece(s)CSLVTCorn Salad Vit
£0.600%£0.60
41 set(s)COUPTCourgette Patio Star F1
£1.35 / set(s)0%£1.35
51 piece(s)COUAPCourgette Atena Polka F1
£0.750%£0.75
61 piece(s)CUCPOCucumber Poinsett naturally nurtured seed
£0.600%£0.60
71 set(s)LETGDLettuce Gilaad (romaine) naturally nurtured seed
£0.75 / set(s)0%£0.75
81 piece(s)LETLGLettuce Little Gem (Cos)
£0.600%£0.60
91 piece(s)PEADPPea Douce Provance
£0.600%£0.60
101 piece(s)PEASDPea Sugar Snap Deliket
£0.600%£0.60
111 pack(s)SPNAVSpinach Avon F1
£0.90 / pack(s)0%£0.90
121 piece(s)SPOIBSpring Onion Ishikura Bunching
£0.600%£0.60
131 piece(s)SPOPUSpring Onion Purplette
£0.900%£0.90
141 piece(s)SPOEFSpring Onion Eiffel
£0.600%£0.60
151 piece(s)PEAMCPea Mangetout Carouby de Maussane
£0.750%£0.75
161 pack(s)HBBBRBasil, British
£0.60 / pack(s)0%£0.60
171 piece(s)HBCOCCoriander, Cilantro naturally nurtured seed
£0.600%£0.60
18Subtotal£12.30
Dwarf French Beans: go check out the article written on MoreVeg's site, if you are unsure of growing dwarf beans, or which variety to choose. If you are looking for steps to achieve a good crop, garden focused is a good guide.

Dwarf French Bean Annabelle:  In 2020 I grew a climbing french bean, but this year I am growing dwarf beans for a change.  Being on the shorty list, I found picking the tall ones at the back of the border a bit of a pain, anyway nice to have a change.

Dwarf French Bean Tendergreen:  This is the bean that I shall start in pots as early as I dare, probably half a dozen towards the end of March.  The climbing french beans Cosse de Violette this year were so late to crop, the earlies picking during early August.  I think that was their habit, as they waited till they had reached the very top and some, to start flowering. 

Corn Salad Vit or lambs lettuce is something I used to grow when I had an allotment, almost like a soil covering during the winter, but making for good dark green salads in the winter.  I shall sow just a few seeds in a pot this week, and see how they grow on for the spring, otherwise I shall sow them later in year probably September.

Courgette Patio Star which hopefully will be compact, and Atena as I like to grow yellow courgettes too for the kitchen.

I had such fun and delicious eating from the cucumbers this year, that growing these again next is a definite.  Cucumber Poinsett reviews of this heirloom cucumber recommend its disease resistance, so I am going to give it my best attention.

Mrs Mace loves lettuce, and could eat it at every meal, Mr S eats lettuce, because he loves me!  Lettuce Gilaad well those leaves are just so dramatic! Lettuce Little Gem to take up little room and use as interplanting.

Pea Douce Provance for a very early crop: sowing can start anytime from now for a very early crop, and Pea Sugar Snap Deliket   being dwarf and compact and can be used very young or in pod. I don't look for large harvest, but just a handful or so every few days to add to salads, stir fry dishes, or mixed steamed vegetables.  I grew a few peas for the first time this year, to eat the shoots raw in salads, but ended up really enjoying a handful of peas now and then. The flavour of peas cooked or eaten within minutes is supberb!  Don't take me wrong, I am very grateful for the bags of frozen peas bought at other times.

Pea Mangetout Carouby de Maussane, with pretty purple flowers, and good recommendations, I just had to add this heritage mangetout to the list, and give it a try.  I shall probably grow this one as an 'ornamental' on tripods amongst my other plants, as if they were sweetpeas!

Spinach Avon I've only ever grown the perpetual type, and fancy trying the standard spinach for once. There are some good sowing tips on Garden Focused.

Onions grow very well on this soil, and you can't get fresher than just picked, and with no grit down the the cut stems, which I have come across several times in supermarket spring onions.  If you harvest them, cut the longer leaves off and wash them close to the fields it is probably impossible not to end up with grit.  I wash them and prepare them and tend to use the fresh green leaves to their very tips.

Basil and coriander..well there is always a call for herbs in my cooking and salads too.

Spring Onion Ishikura Bunching, is a long Japanese onion which can be harvested thin or allowed to thicken up to give long leek sized onions.
Spring Onion Purplette with a long season for sowing, and the possibility of growing a little longer for delicious little Cipollini, and purple ones at that, how could I resist these.




4 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful list! Have you tried the bunching onions before? I haven't had much luck with onions, but I've been curious about trying a bunching variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heather, no this will be the first time. I've had good success with spring onions, chives, and garlic chives. Other alliums the decorative sort do very well. Onions need good drainage, plenty of sun, and not too much nitrogen. I used a little liquid seaweed feed, that is all. Good luck, and maybe during the year, we can compare notes.

      Delete
  2. You look very well stocked. The only additions I’d make are beetroot as you can use the leaves and the beet and rainbow chard is wonderful as it keeps on giving even through the winter. I think that vegetable bug is biting, maybe it’s time to find a half plot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, I'm not that keen on beetroot leaves, except for micro greens. I also happen to have seed of beetroot and chard left over from last year. Neither of them did at all well, compared to a previous year. I'm afraid my rheumatism would deter me from an allotment, and it is a question of time. I had some wonderful years on my allotment previously, but now I would rather be exploring this wonderful area.

      Delete